Talk

Advanced search

cluster feeding, formula and expressing.

(19 Posts)
Rachog Fri 28-Sep-12 21:47:22

Ds is almost 11 weeks and the last couple of days has been.cluster feeding of an evening and.doesn't seem.satisfied. well tonight my nipples needed a rest so I shut up shop and gave him.4oz of formula.

Do I need to express those 4oz now to get my supply up to his demand?

Rachog Fri 28-Sep-12 21:48:19

Sorry about the random punctuation, my fingers are not delicate enough for my tiny HTC keyboard!

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 28-Sep-12 22:41:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 28-Sep-12 22:42:53

Rachog Sat 29-Sep-12 05:09:44

Thanks for replying asmy my nipples are not too bad, I think he just slips off a bit during feeding sometimes. We had our latch checked recently as I had thrush and terrible cracks which is all sorted now.

Tonight was probably more in my head, he had been attatched to me for ages, dp came in after popping out for an hour and laughed, he said evwrytime I have looked at you today I have seen his head at your boob! I was just ready for a rest. I don't mind giving him the odd bottle of formula now and then, I just don't want my supply to dip and mean I have to give him it regularly.

I usually feed him and put him.down.between 7 and 8 and he settles himself to sleep then until 4am, I knew he wasn't satisfied because he wouldn't go down he had been attatched from 6.45 until 9 and when I tried to put him to bed he cried. He had also fed at half 5 and 4ish. he took the bottle and went straight off, waking now as usual.

I expressed a bit, not 4oz but I had a go so not like a totally missed feed. Thanks again.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 29-Sep-12 11:23:51

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 29-Sep-12 11:24:18

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 29-Sep-12 11:27:44

Rachog Sun 30-Sep-12 02:31:05

Thank you for replying again smile I think we have a definite growth spurt on our hands as ds has been attathed all day or it certainly seems like it anyway. I am.going to trust that my nosy knows what it is doing though and just settle in. House work can wait right?

I wasn't aware of the information you gave re mix feeding, that is helpful so thanks again for that. I have always known breast is best but I don't actually know why, I have just taken them at their word.

I am going to take your advice and be vigilant about the latch and send dp for treats and just enjoy my baby, after all before I know it he will be off to school and I will miss this just like you do.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 30-Sep-12 10:43:34

mawbroon Sun 30-Sep-12 11:22:19

Rachog, didn't your ds have his tongue tie snipped? Have I got the right person?

Sore and cracked nipples, thrush, slipping off during feeding, all of these make me wonder if his tongue is still restricted as they are typical of a tongue tied baby.

I wonder if one of several things has happened? Perhaps the revision wasn't done properly (eg not deep enough, or only taking an anterior tie and leaving a posterior) or maybe it has reattached, or there could be a lip tie preventing ideal latching.

might be worth a tryif you think there is a lip tie. It is exaggerated latch and then she flips out the upper lip

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 18:55:52

hi mawbroom, that is indeed us that you are thinking of. we has tt snipped at 8 days and then at about 6/7 weeks the lactation consultant said it had grown back. she referred us but the appointment never came through. we saw another lactation consultant and she said ds was fine and that tt can't grow back. There are other things that would suggest tt too though, clicking during feeds though not every feed, lots of sick and slipping down the centiles. i just don't know where to go next to get another referral.

asmy, that line made me smile! I do have a support group near me, they meet on a wednesday, I joined two sessions ago but my questions always pop up between sessions. We have knocked the formula on the head and have just been feeding like mad smile

mawbroon Mon 01-Oct-12 19:40:48

Would you be able to get to Huddersfield? There is a dentist there who trained under Dr Kotlow who lasers tongue and lip ties.

Or Milk Matters may be able to put you in touch with somebody knowledgeable about tongue tie in your area

Asmywhimsytakesme Mon 01-Oct-12 20:10:03

showtunesgirl Mon 01-Oct-12 20:30:51

Why on earth did the LC say that tongue ties can't grow back?! Yes they can!

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 21:19:11

Thanks for the support, I will mention it at the breast feeding group and see if the adviso there can put me in touch with anyone.

mawbroon, I am not sure where huddersfield is in relation to me but will discuss it with dp. I am going to check out your link too.

mawbroon Mon 01-Oct-12 22:04:03

We had ds1's tongue tie done there a couple of weeks ago. The team are really good. We had already had his tongue revised earlier in the year, but it wasn't done properly, and we felt that it was definitely worth the 480mile round trip to have it lasered.

Rachog Mon 01-Oct-12 22:23:50

wow that is some trip! I am guessing it is private? Is it expensive?

mawbroon Tue 02-Oct-12 09:05:21

Yes, it is private. It cost £50 for the consultation, £200 for the frenectomy and £50 for the osteopath to do some cranial work after the release (optional, but recommended). Plus our travel costs of course.

Much cheaper than the £2k we had to pay to have it done under GA the first time (if only I knew then what I know now!!).

And he did a great job of it. DS1's tongue is amazing now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now