Talk

Advanced search

Transitioning from bf to ff, but ds taking very little ff

(4 Posts)
ThursdayNextIsMyHero Thu 27-Sep-12 20:29:23

Hi, ds is 9 months old, and over the last two weeks we've been transitioning from ebf to mixed feeding. I'll be returning to work soon, and will be travelling occasionally, so I need to know that he'll take enough formula if I'm away. Conversely, I don't want to stop bf yet completely, and am hoping to continue bedtime feeds for a while yet (what I mean is that most nights I want to bf him before bedtime, but on the occasional nights I'm late back, then dh can give him a cup). I tried expressing when he was younger, but couldn't get on with it.

So far for his ff, ds has only taken about 10-25 ml from a cup at each feed, and often less than that (because of his age, and the fact that he drinks water from a sippy cup, there didn't seem much point in introducing bottles). He doesn't feed at night anymore, eats well during the day (has 3 meals and 2 snacks), and has 3 bf and 2 ff a day at present. So when he takes very little formula, he its going from 7 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon with no milk (and in a couple more days I had planned to switch the 4 pm feed to ff). He does take some water with meals, but again, not a lot.

I guess what I'm asking is does this sound okay? Obviously with some bf it is difficult to tell how much milk he is taking each day, but because he its eating well does that mean that I shouldn't be too concerned about him not taking much? If it sounds like he should be taking more liquid, then how? TIA

Iggly Thu 27-Sep-12 22:15:46

Why not just give formula when you're not there? With the odd bit now so he's used to it?

ThursdayNextIsMyHero Fri 28-Sep-12 06:59:01

With the exception of one feed by dh, that hadn't made much difference. Dh did a couple of feeds at the weekend, and ds has just started going to the cm, but he only took a small amount there as well.
The ff I've ben doing, I started off holding ds on my lap, but have now moved him to the highchair in the hope he might take some more. He just send to pour more of it on the floor.

Iggly Fri 28-Sep-12 07:41:02

I guess I mean that he's unlikely to take much ff from you as not used to it so don't waste it (my DD is the same as was my DS - in fact DS never took more than 3oz from a bottle). I've read that EBF babies don't take much from a bottle as a general rule unless fully switched. So try not to stress and make sure he's getting plenty of fluids and solids when you're not there. He can make up for it when you're back or via solids.
Also as he gets closer to 1 he'll drop feeds anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now