Talk

Advanced search

Nappies not cottage cheese today...why?

(7 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Thu 27-Sep-12 20:27:18

ds is bf with 1 bottle at night. The contents of his nappies are normally cottage cheese like but today have been more liquidy with only little White flecks.

Yesterday I had no dairy in my diet as ds is very gassy and windy, so gp suggested I cut it out to see if it made any difference. surely it doesn't change that quickly

Or is he poorly and this is diarrhoea?

TortillaDeMaiz Thu 27-Sep-12 21:52:06

My LO has cottage-cheese like nappies whenever I have too much dairy. Change occurs within a day or so. Most of the time his poos are quite runny. I wouldn't consider he has diarrhea. Unless he looks poorly in other ways, like fever, grunting, being generally unsettled or weak.

Mandinga79 Fri 28-Sep-12 05:57:37

I wouldn't go cutting anything out based upon one day's worth of nappies. My DS's poos change quite frequently, but are still within the yellow spectrum just with varying degrees of 'lentils' as we like to say. Even when he did have green diarrhoea for a week or two we were assured it wasn't a problem and it resolved itself without me cutting anything out. The only correlation I've noticed is if DS is particularly drooly, the output is noticeably slimier. Lovely!

MigGril Fri 28-Sep-12 06:58:05

If I remember correctly it's only classed as diarrhoea when they have 8+ nappies in 24 hours. if he's very senate to dairy it could change quickly, but you don't expect to see the full effects for several Weeks.

toomuchtooyoung Fri 28-Sep-12 07:27:46

At 2 weeks was advised by hv to up my fat intake (was limited as dh has low sat fat requirement for medical reasons) to whole milk, cheese and yoghurts, and reduce citrus fruits.

Ds definitely not Poorly in other ways mentioned then and not going through nappies excessively

Have hv and gp been telling me a crock of rubbish then? There have been Previous mn threads were people have cut out dairy to see if it helps with gassiness.

Will do anything to help poor ds as he spends most of the nightime trying to fart with nothing coming out. Tummy rubs and bicycle legs also not doing much

MigGril Fri 28-Sep-12 07:46:36

There is no need for you to up you're fat intake, unless you where losing to much weight. it won't effect your milk at all. You just need to eat a healthy diet for the sack of your health.

HV can spout a load of rubbish sometimes.

TortillaDeMaiz Fri 28-Sep-12 08:42:48

Based solely on my own experience, just try reducing the amount of dairy. I switched to Lactosefree milk, only drink it with my coffee and sometimes with muesli. Traditionally produced mature cheeses like swiss Emmentaler and Parmesan seem to be easier to digest than soft ones and also don't eat too much of it. A cheese based dish (like lasagna or fondue, raclette, etc) may cause some discomfort. Creams also seem to have a bad effect on my LO digestion. I suspect it has to do with the fact that there is always added milk protein or milk solids on it. Also, if you want to increase your fat consumption, it might be better to eat products richer in unsaturated fats as in nuts and seeds.

As I said, that's only what has worked for me, I have no scientific evidence to back it up and every baby is different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now