StarlightMcKenzie Thu 27-Sep-12 10:53:38

Night clubs?

Restaurants?

Pubs during the evening?

PTA meetings?

Court?

Prison during visiting?

In hospital if an in-patient?

I'm potentially doing all of these before my ds is 6 months and don't want to give a bottle. Are they all possible?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 27-Sep-12 10:53:58

Oh, actually I'm not doing the night club.....

frasersmummy Thu 27-Sep-12 10:55:18

I cant see the problem with bf in any of these places except maybe the nightclub .. cos I imagine you wont be taking your baby clubbing !!!

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 27-Sep-12 10:56:05

As far as I'm aware you can feed where you damn well like. But I do think there are issues with doing it in prison visiting, I rememebr a huge thread kicking off about it. Inpatient might prove interesting. I'd introduce a bottle of expressed milk asap if you know you're going into hospital.

Pascha Thu 27-Sep-12 11:04:17

Having had experience of BFing a baby when on a prison visit I can vouch that you can, it just depends on the circumstances of the visit as to whether you have to go to a separate area to do it. (ie the nature of the prisoners crimes)

scrivette Thu 27-Sep-12 11:08:31

You are allowed to feed in all of those places, although of course it depends if it is practical for you as to how easy it will be.
I have fed in most of those places apart from the prison and nightclub.

EauRouge Thu 27-Sep-12 11:37:25

This is a really good guide to your and your baby's legal rights.

I've been BF almost 4 years, anywhere that has taken my fancy and I've never had any problems. From your list I've done restaurants, pubs and hospitals. If you have any trouble then just quote the law at people and they should beg for forgiveness back down.

TheSurgeonsMate Thu 27-Sep-12 11:49:45

I'd be very upset if I had any difficulty in feeding in a hospital.

I think I might feel uncomfortable feeding inside an actual courtroom. I wouldn't drink or eat there, or look at a newspaper.

DameFanny Thu 27-Sep-12 11:51:32

Can I just say how much more interesting your life is than mine?

TittyWhistles Thu 27-Sep-12 11:54:45

Haha. I've fed in a nightclub but it was in the very swish (and clean) managers office....and I was the manager.

It was in the afternoon anyway. I didn't want to inflict cheesy 90's dance music on ds.

Also done it on a tour bus.

AlanMoore Thu 27-Sep-12 12:01:36

Years ago when I worked on a trauma ward we had lady admitted with bf baby of a few weeks old, we put her in side room and the baby stayed with her & slept in his pram, so depending on why you're inpatient it might not be a problem at all.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 27-Sep-12 12:37:14

Thanks everyone. I suppose I was really asking if you can take a baby to these places given he is bf on demand and I want/need to go.

EauRouge Thu 27-Sep-12 13:37:27

I used to take DD2 with me to the pub quiz when she was tiny but I stopped taking her when she wouldn't sleep through the quiz. She was crap at the football questions anyway.

Rubirosa Thu 27-Sep-12 13:41:04

The question is really whether you can take the baby, rather than whether you can feed them. PTA meeting should be fine, but some pubs don't allow children or don't allow them in the evenings. Restaurants should let you bring a baby though.

Not sure if children would be allowed in a courtroom but I guess they could provide you with breaks if the baby was outside.

peeriebear Thu 27-Sep-12 14:08:08

I fed DS in a restaurant last weekend. It was that or let my gelato melt.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 27-Sep-12 14:36:32

It's not so much whether I can take the baby, as the baby has to stay with me. So it is more a question of whether I can go, given I have to have the baby with me iyswim.

EldritchCleavage Thu 27-Sep-12 14:47:00

Children under 14 are not allowed in courtrooms (unless they are giving evidence).

You could ask for permission to take a baby in for BF reasons, but as far as I know a judge would not have the power to exempt you from the law on this. So I think court is a no. You'd be free to BF elsewhere in the court building, but not in the courtroom itself.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 27-Sep-12 14:51:14

If i had to leave the room, Would a judge bar me from participating if the baby needed to feed every 24 minutes, as currently?

EldritchCleavage Thu 27-Sep-12 14:53:24

Tricky..in what capacity are you there? As a party?
If you are a witness, you'd have to wait outside, and ask for breaks when giving evidence.

I think they try to be flexible, so would let you have breaks, but every 24 minutes is really rather a lot. You just have to ask.

BobbysBeardOfWonder Thu 27-Sep-12 14:54:59

I fed in hospital last week in a sound-proof booth whilst having my hearing tested. DS wasn't helping much by yowling hmm grin

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 27-Sep-12 15:03:23

Actually, we settled, but I was the appellant. So just wondering what might have happened with a bf baby that fed half hour on and half hour off who was under 3 months and didn't take a bottle (nor did I want him to).

EldritchCleavage Thu 27-Sep-12 15:15:16

Interesting. The answer might have been have the hearing in the judge's room with baby latched on throughout!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now