Talk

Advanced search

bfing and d&ving - help!

(9 Posts)
thecatsminion Wed 26-Sep-12 15:02:23

Since yesterday lunchtime I've been feeling out of sorts, and last night I started having d&v. i was up on average once an hour all night. It's a little better today but I still can't bring myself to eat or drink very much. I managed an empire biscuit and some water earlier but just threw that up.

DS is 4 month old and I feel really bad cos I plonked him in front of the telly rather than going to a baby bounce thing this morning. I am dehydrated and feel like death.

Is there anything I can do apart from throwing myself a pity party and hoping it ends soon?

MigGril Wed 26-Sep-12 16:54:12

Just try and take in as many fluids as possible. Sucking ice cubs can help when you are being sick. Not much else you can do for D&v. oh and avoid groups until you've not been ill for at least 24 hours don't want to pad it on do you.

Don't feel bad about the TV it happens to all of us at some point. hope your feeling better soon.

JudithOfThePiece Wed 26-Sep-12 17:07:37

Definitely don't feel bad about the telly!!

The ice cubes are a great suggestion. Your main focus has to be trying rehydrate yourself. Is there anyone at all that might be willing to look after your DS and just bring him to you for feeds?

Take it as easy as you can. There's nothing worse than D&V, apart from D&V while looking after a child. Personally, I would avoid group for 48 hours. I know you'll be climbing the walls and desperate for adult conversation, but it's not worth the risk of passing it on!

Take care.

MrsHoarder Wed 26-Sep-12 17:16:27

You poor thing. I had a similar problem, you're doing better than me, I just dragged a pile of toys into my bed and bf lying down.

Lots of fluids, preferably the sports drinks that rehydrate you and it will be over soon. thanks

ZuleikaD Wed 26-Sep-12 18:06:05

The best thing is flat Coke (full sugar) diluted 50/50 with water and with a teaspoonful of salt in it. Believe it or not it's nicer than those rehydrating sachets.

MigGril Wed 26-Sep-12 18:43:44

oh yes flat coke is good always forget that one.

ZuleikaD Wed 26-Sep-12 20:24:13

We all had a hideous D&V bug when DS was 4 weeks old and he was the only one who was fine!

Zimbah Wed 26-Sep-12 21:30:36

Hope you are starting to feel a bit better. I had some sort of rotavirus/norovirus or whatever it's called, one of those hideous sudden-onset excessive D&V illnesses, when DD was around 6 months. I did find that my milk dropped right down for a day, I had very little there at all, presumably because I'd got dehydrated, but it went back to normal the next day. So it's important to try to get a little bit of liquid into you if possible, but if your supply drops don't panic it will return again.

thecatsminion Mon 01-Oct-12 02:00:09

Thanks all - been away for a few days and haven't been on a computer until now.

I had it from Tuesday to Saturday morning on and off, and then DH got struck down for 24 hours. We used some milk out the freezer to give me a break sometimes, tried flat coke and carried on.

The tip about groups was a good one - other people that went to the same group as I did last Monday have had it, so it looks like that's where I picked it up.

I tried going into a health food shop to see if they had anything Immodium-like I could take while breastfeeding. The guy there was really nice although apparently there aren't any suitable herbal remedies, but whenever he said the word "breastfeeding" he did this gesture where he put his hands up to his chest and sort of flopped them forward to show his palms, like he was imagining getting his norks out. Bizarre!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now