Talk

Advanced search

Having ds3's Tongue tie snipped tomorrow...

(14 Posts)
Mobly Wed 26-Sep-12 10:09:12

Some reassurance needed please.

I wish they would routinely use a topical anaesthetic but they don't.

The midwife assured me it doesn't hurt the baby but surely it must?

Any experiences please?

I know it's the best thing for us both (breastfeeding) but I feel it's also cruel without anaesthetic sad

KittenundermyHeels Wed 26-Sep-12 11:40:28

When my dd2 had it done she was asleep it obviously woke her but then I fed her straightway and all was forgotten. She is now almost 8 has zero memory of it and meant I could bf happily for far far longer than I would have been able to otherwise. Good luck.

mawbroon Wed 26-Sep-12 12:04:00

How old?

melonribena Wed 26-Sep-12 13:06:27

My baby had his snipped at 5 weeks. He cried for about half a minute until I could latch him on. He had a fabulous feed and was fine straight after! No pain, no grizzling and only a tiny bit of blood!

NoBloodyMore Wed 26-Sep-12 13:09:56

My little boy had it done at 5 weeks old, it was upsetting for about a minute but as soon as I latched him on he fed well, fell asleep and when he woke he was fine. I honestly think it upset me more than him. He's still happily breastfeeding at 7 months, we'd have never got this far without having it done. You'll both be fine honestly.

GOLDFaverolles Wed 26-Sep-12 13:16:27

DS3 had his snipped at nearly 12 weeks.
I was told by the dr that its quicker and less distressing to quickly snip, than to faff around with anaesthetics and waiting for the area to be numb.

Ds was quite upset when his was done, and refused to feed until he'd calmed down, but a lovely nurse walked around the hospital with me and ds until he settled. By the time we got home, he was absolutely fine and back to his normal self.
Ds was genuinely back to his normal happy self within an hour, so I truly believe that after the initial shock, it didn't hurt.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Wed 26-Sep-12 13:21:09

I've had DS's done three times now. He's been pretty distress each time & took a while to feed, was ok then though. Could you give calpol as a prophylaxis before you go?

MrsJohnDeere Wed 26-Sep-12 13:25:27

Ds1 only cried for a minute afterwards.

Mobly Wed 26-Sep-12 18:08:10

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. It sounds much as I expected sad

Ds3 is 3wks old.

Seriouslysleepdeprived I think he's too young for calpol unfortunately.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Wed 26-Sep-12 18:31:39

Yes too little but the magic boobs will help. Hope it goes ok. Has made a huge difference getting it done, so worth it smile

Mobly Wed 26-Sep-12 18:53:03

Thank you smile

He's gaining weight well but I have a blocked duct on right nipple & he doesn't latch as well as my first 2 Dcs. I have to keep relatching him. Given the option he would chew on my nipple! When taking a break from sucking he often slides back onto my nipple again.

It's definitely worth doing I agree, will be glad when it's over.

Mobly Wed 26-Sep-12 18:53:44

Glad it had positive results for everyone here too.

mawbroon Wed 26-Sep-12 19:22:47

There is a really good tongue tie support group on facebook.

Mobly Thu 27-Sep-12 20:41:35

Well he had it done but very glad it's over! He cried for about 10 seconds before feeding & then fell asleep.

It definitely hurt him could tell by his cry and unfortunately she didnt manage to do it in one snip but two sad

He's been quite fussy since waking up at 4, but had been cluster feeding/fussing around this time lady few evenings anyway.

He is having to relearn to latch & has got upset a few times so I've been calming him by holding him & rocking & running his back before trying again.

On the positive side, hopefully this will prevent any speech problems in the future and it will help with the breastfeeding. At least he won't remember.

Thanks again everyone for input & advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now