Talk

Advanced search

What to CATCH the spurting milk in?

(20 Posts)
Superslinger Tue 25-Sep-12 14:29:33

I have epic oversupply - having to wear nappies in bed and even they're horribly sodden and sometimes have to be changed in early hours.

HV has suggested I, for example, when feeding from one boob and high-speed spurting out of the other, place a cup or something under said other to catch milk and either freeze it up for potential bottling in future, or just throw it away (which would still be worth it as would still have relieved boob a bit from pressure of bra and constant dampness against pads/ nappies).

Anyway, she said NOT to use shells as they put more pressure on boob, thus causing yet more milk, she said just to use a glass or something, but I've just tried that and while I've managed to deal with most of the spraying in all directions, some of it is escaping 'down', ie I'm catching the high pressure stuff that spurts 'out', but missing the lower pressure dribbling, leaving me with a very wet bra... And also it's obviously not ideal using one hand to hold baby to one boob and the other to hover a glass in front of the other!

Sorry, long story short, any ideas on something that I could use to catch more effectively/ conveniently?! TIA

ZuleikaD Tue 25-Sep-12 15:02:41

There's another thread about this. I pinch the non-nursing one until the let-down's passed and it stops.

MigGril Tue 25-Sep-12 16:35:35

press the heal of you're hand onto the nipple on the non nursing side. Should stop the follow.

PotteringAlong Tue 25-Sep-12 16:43:31

I used a mixing bowl at the height of my spurting blush

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 16:47:31

I bought some plastic shells that were designed for the purpose, then froze it in ice cube things.

MrsHoarder Tue 25-Sep-12 16:58:22

Stack of muslins and include them in the piles of baby washing.

GoingforGoingforGOLD Tue 25-Sep-12 17:05:13

I always used shells, swapping half way then froze the milk for when I'd drunk wine Dh to do the odd feed

Superslinger Tue 25-Sep-12 17:12:04

I can't do pinching/ sealing type things as have serious oversupply so have been advised to do nothing to stop the flow for serious risk of blockage, mastisis etc.

Pottering, loving the mixing bowl ideas - think that might really work, will try propping one under next feed. Mrs, I have been using muslins up til now, but was hoping there might be some magical way I could avoid dealing with sodden rags all day (need to man up I know!)

Superslinger Tue 25-Sep-12 17:14:20

Going and Dolly, did you not find the shells made you produce more? HV advised me against as was adamant they'd make the problem worse?

Happybunny12 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:43:49

I have this and am using shells. Sometimes swapping to a second shell mid feed. Doesn't seem to have stimulated more supply. And far fewer wet clothes.

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 18:27:55

No it didn't make it worse, it just catches the milk. I likes the fact that I could use the milk at a later date, it's a shame to waste it. And no sodden breast pads or Muslims was an added bonus.

Dollydowser Tue 25-Sep-12 18:29:10

Bloody iPad! Sorry for any offence. Of course it should read muslins!!!

GoingforGoingforGOLD Tue 25-Sep-12 18:42:00

Don't know if it made it worse. I figured it was as well to have a by product and not arse around expressing to build up a freezer supply

GoingforGoingforGOLD Tue 25-Sep-12 18:43:03

Just don't forget the shell is there, bend over to pick something up and drench yourself. I've lost count of the number of times I've done that

blackteaplease Wed 26-Sep-12 08:26:17

I was just about to post this very thread. Ds is 2 weeks old and he and i are saturated every feed. I darent feed out of the house and i'm going through 3/4 bras and tops a day a well as babygros and muslins . I stink of sour milk.

My hv recommended shells so Im going to get some today and give them a go. It can't get worse.

blackteaplease Wed 26-Sep-12 08:26:35

I was just about to post this very thread. Ds is 2 weeks old and he and i are saturated every feed. I darent feed out of the house and i'm going through 3/4 bras and tops a day a well as babygros and muslins . I stink of sour milk.

My hv recommended shells so Im going to get some today and give them a go. It can't get worse.

Mama1980 Wed 26-Sep-12 08:31:44

I second the mixing bowl I would just prop it under the non feeding side blush had massive over supply with ds. Slight side issue but if your freezing some have you thought of donating any 'extra' to a milk bank?

Naisy Thu 27-Sep-12 20:40:04

My mum and sister both told me they used a baby bottle to catch milk from the 'not in use breast' when they fed. Makes sense, covers nipple and will catch drips, dribbles and squirts!

MeerkatMerkin Thu 27-Sep-12 20:57:40

I used to tuck a folded muslin or two into my bra to catch the downwards dribbles and a big mixing bowl for the rest sometimes I'd just aim it at DH for a giggle!

nannyl Thu 27-Sep-12 22:29:27

when i had that i used shells and emptied very frequently

i would catch about a pint a day (as well as leaking loads, pouring loads out of the air holes in the shells)

I dont think i could have BF without my shells actually, i used them for a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now