Talk

Advanced search

green poo in three month old any experiences or ideas?

(17 Posts)
umboo Tue 25-Sep-12 10:17:28

Hi

Dd is 14wo and ebf. She has had colic and mild reflux. So far I've worked out cows milk intolerance as a factor, have cut that out but it's not fully resolved. Also I had over supply issues, which are mostly sorted now. For the last month she's had greenish poos, now it's getting worse. Got gp appointment on Thursday but thought id ask here too if people have had this and sorted it out. I've read about too much fore milk or possible other allergies, anyone know what those possible things could be? Am trying now to keep on one breast as long as possible now l. But I dont know if that will help bc I already only feed from one side at night.

notcitrus Tue 25-Sep-12 10:37:34

Is there a problem now other than green poo? I was assured it's not a problem, and after a month or two it went yellow again.

umboo Tue 25-Sep-12 11:04:11

She's still got a bit of colic and reflux. She's gaining weight well but I haven't had her weighed for three weeks, going on Thursday. Was yr baby bf if you dont mind me asking? I read that in bf babies green poo isnt normal but ff babies it can be. Thanks.

MigGril Tue 25-Sep-12 11:12:36

Green poo on it's own is not normally anything to worry about.

How long has it been since you cut out dairy? have you cut out all hidden sources to?

As you are already block feeding I don't think to much fore milk is the current issue. unless you have an extern oversupply issue.

A chat with a breastfeeding concilier from one of the helplines would be a good idea.

blooblies Tue 25-Sep-12 11:19:43

For us, green poos were definitely dairy. Mucusy ones were gluten.

mawbroon Tue 25-Sep-12 11:26:16

Green poo, colic, reflux, dairy sensitivity, over supply can all be symptoms of a tongue tied baby.

have a read here

Has anybody who knows what they are doing checked her? Milk Matters offer a virtual service to help identify tongue tie. They are experts in it, unlike most HCPs.

How has the rest of your feeding experience been?

EugenesAxe Tue 25-Sep-12 11:31:24

I think green poo is not being able to digest the lactose. My DCs had it (although it's been a while since they were 14wo) and I Googled; pretty sure that's what it said.

It's expensive but Colief might help - it's basically lactase so breaks down the lactose while children's guts catch up (lactase deficiency rather than lactose allergy is more common in young children). I think my mate who BF just put a couple of drops on her baby's tongue (!) but the official method is to express a bit into a cup, add the Colief to that and then get the baby to drink it (before each feed). Ask your doctor - although I have a feeling they don't prescribe any more.

mawbroon Tue 25-Sep-12 11:32:43

link between tongue/lip ties and colic and reflux

Dr Kotlow is a leading expert on tongue and lip ties. There are pics of lip ties in that article, have a look at your dd and see if she has one, and if she does, there is an extremely high chance that there is also a tongue tie, even if it doesn't look like it.

elfycat Tue 25-Sep-12 11:42:41

We had the odd green poo with DD1 at times throughout the first year. It usually cleared up after a few days and we thought it was linked to what we referred to as 'feeding frenzies'. Has your DD started feeding more frequently and being more fussy about it?

At several points (3 months was one of them) bf babies up the feeding. Not because they need the additional milk NOW, but because they'll need more shortly and their instinct is that its best to get it going.

Both my DDs had a week every now and then of fretting about feeding, green poo nappies, nappy rash and being unsettled. A few days later my boobs would react and produce more.

See the doctor because it could be another issue with food but if it is this it will settle down (but possibly happen again just before 6 months).

nankypeevy Tue 25-Sep-12 11:50:57

Yep, I'd second the growth spurt thing. Or a bug giving a bit of tummy gyp.

But, that's a while to have green poo for - I'm glad you're getting her seen.

The only time I really worried about poo was when it had glitter in it... Never nip to the loo and leave siblings making Christmas cards alone with a new baby.

ThePetiteMummy Tue 25-Sep-12 13:16:54

Dd2 (now 9 weeks old) had had green poo for a while, and Mawbroon suggested on another thread that I started about this to get her checked for tongue tie, as she was also displaying other symptoms, such as clicking when feeding, gagging, frequently coming off during a feed. We had a lactation consultant come to our house yesterday, and she does indeed have tongue tie! We opted to have it snipped there and then (the lady we saw is specially trained to do this). She also showed me how to latch her on better. Obviously it remains to be seen how dd progresses, but I'm optimistic things will improve now. Might be worth getting her checked op.

Happybunny12 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:48:51

Ha ha ha at glittery poo! Thanks for comments here, this is something I have been wondering about too.

umboo Wed 26-Sep-12 01:02:41

Thanks for all your replies. I really want the tongue tie checked out now and im guessing my gp won't know well enough to diagnose. The petite mummy, where did you find your lactation consultant? I saw on the milk matters site, which is really informative thanks for the link, about the virtual services but if im going to pay for an assessment id rather it be a face to face one.

Thanks all.

umboo Wed 26-Sep-12 01:04:44

Lol nankypeevy, maybe I should hide all the green pens in ds' box and see if that makes a difference! smile

ThePetiteMummy Wed 26-Sep-12 11:09:00

Hi Umboo, I found her by just doing an Internet search for a lactation consultant in my area (Surrey). Her name is Mary Griffiths, and I thought she was very good. You don't mention where you are, but I think it's important to find someone experienced in diagnosing tongue tie, as I gather from here that many health professionals can miss it.

umboo Wed 26-Sep-12 12:16:08

Hi petite mummy thanks for this, im in North London, I'll Google it too then smile I know how much of a difference experienced professionals can make as I had a rare postnatal problem myself with both my babies and the second time (, with dd) I insisted on seeing an experienced consultant, made a huge difference!

So, I've looked in her mouth and comparing to the pics I can't see anything that looks like tongue tie but something that looks like lip tie. Obviously I know that's a very rudimentary check and I need a pro. The thing that's confusing methough is that if it is lip tie then I think I have it too!!

Do you mind me asking how much it cost? Pm me if you prefer. Many thanks.

mawbroon Wed 26-Sep-12 12:53:39

Yep, that's the thing about tt. Some of them are glaringly obvious, and others look completely normal to the untrained eye.

Presence of a lip tie almost always means there is a tongue tie too. Sure, there will be the odd person out there with just lip tie, but not many.

TT runs in families so if she turns out to be tt'd, it could well be that you are also tt'd umboo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now