Talk

Advanced search

Planning to wean at 12mo - tips please!

(5 Posts)
nm123 Tue 25-Sep-12 09:20:49

I go back to work 3 days a week when dd will be 12mo and would like to stop BF around then and feel clueless as to how to go about it!

I imagined that I'd drop a feed a week so do I just swap boob for cup (presumably silly to start on bottles then)? Do I use cows milk or formula? If I want to start this process before 12mths should I use ebm (ugh to pumping)?

Will DD be stressed with weaning, mummy going to work, selling in at nannies and nursery all around the same time??

nm123 Tue 25-Sep-12 09:21:21

*settling

Pilchardnpoppy Tue 25-Sep-12 09:43:29

I can't really suggest anything to help with weaning, but I just wanted to say you don't have to wean if you don't want to. I went back to work when my dd was 9 mo, 4 days a week, and she had food and water at nursery and bm in the evenings and on my days off. It can be comforting and help ease the transition to being away from you and a change in routine.

nm123 Tue 25-Sep-12 11:05:44

Well, I had considered keeping the morning and bedtime feeds perhaps but I think I may have had enough by then. I figure a year of BF + pregnancy is a pretty good shot at handing my body over to DD (despite having enjoyed it all)... Its only really for selfish reasons - I don't want to pump, I want to wear nicer bras and more dresses again, I don't want to be the only one who can put DD to bed etc etc.

notcitrus Tue 25-Sep-12 11:24:44

My ds started nursery at 11mo so I left a carton of formula until he was 12mo, then he had cow milk in a bottle. I fed morning and bedtime and the odd night feed, and so I could bf after his 13mo MMR jab. Later I offered milk in a sippy cup instead morning and evening, and bottle if he woke at night - very easy. I only worked 3 days but didn't bf during the day.
Will do similar for dd soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now