Talk

Advanced search

7 week old refusing to feed

(4 Posts)
raininginbaltimore Mon 24-Sep-12 19:13:36

Dd is 7 weeks and bottle fed. She has been a bit fussy about feeding this morning, but with frequent winding I got 3 oz in her (normally has 4-5oz.

But since 12 she's had about 4oz total, half the amount. And that has taken hours to get in her. She was quite content, alert, just not interested in feeding. Now she is screaming but won't feed. I have winded, changed nappy etc.

She has gone to sleep, but what do I do? She just fusses with teat, spits out and cries. She needs to feed.

She's had thrush twice and is still on nystatin. It is there, it won't shift. But Dr said there is nothing else to treat it.

What do I do?

Wineafterseven Tue 25-Sep-12 07:50:24

My dd1 had silent reflux and feeding was a nightmare and I found it quite upsetting. After much research and numerous trips to the doctor we changed her milk and gave her infant gaviscon in every feed. She was like a different baby. Just a thought. It's so tricky as it could be down to so many things but might be worth looking in to.

Mandinga79 Tue 25-Sep-12 21:06:56

Miconazole (Daktarin oral gel) is actually the recommended treatment for thrush in babies, not nystatin. Miconazole isn't licenced for babies under four months so some doctors will refuse to prescribe it, but it is the accepted recommended treatment, even from birth, by organisations including the Breastfeeding Network. The issue is that it's a gel so there is a minuscule choking risk, but if you coat the inside of the baby's mouth well (inside each cheek, roof of the mouth, and tongue especially towards the back, each with a petit pois sized blob) it's fine. Just to be on the safe side, I'd keep my DS upright for a few minutes afterwards and let him smack his mouth a bit to make sure he'd broken down any rogue blobs. You can get it over the counter as well without a prescription - just lie to tell the pharmacist your DC is over 4 months or they may not sell it to you.

raininginbaltimore Wed 26-Sep-12 01:26:49

She has a referral for reflux, but not heard anything yet. Gaviscon made her constipated.

Thing is she will be fine,, happily low down flat etc. But now she is screaming. She won't feed arches her back. I've changed her nappy, tried winding, she just screams. But laid on changing mat she stopped for a moment. So being flat.

Won't feed. Gone back to.sleep, last time she fed 10pm. I'm worried and frustrated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now