Talk

Advanced search

Am a being too soft re bf?

(12 Posts)
whoopsfailedagain Mon 24-Sep-12 19:09:13

Ive just read another lady's thread about bf her 53 week old baby...mine too is 53 weeks, but it's a different question and I didn't want to sabotage!

So I've had 5 Dcs in total. Baby 1 was purely bf until 15 mts when I felt I had to go cold turkey as I was 3 mts pg with no 2 and feeling really poorly.

Dc2 was both bf and had a formula feed when I was at work. I stopped on her 1st bday deciding enough was enough. Shes now 12, pumps weren't great back then!

Dc3 was bf mainly but occasional formula. Stopped when he was 10 mts as dc2 had to go into hospital for few days. It seemed like a good time.

Dc4 was purely bf until his 1st bday again. I chose to stop.

Now dc5 has had bf and formula. He had his 1st bday last week and I had thought I'd stop, but I haven't and I don't really want to. I get so little time with ds that it does mean currently we get 2 or 3 very special cuddles every day. He is most probably my last baby sad should I just get a grip and stop now. I don't want to be bfing when he's much older than baby looking. I would feel a bit <blush> like I can't let go!

I feel like I miss so much of dc5 already. He's now at nursery all day 8-6 sad

Happygirl77 Mon 24-Sep-12 19:13:25

If you're enjoying bf, and your da is enjoying bf, I say carry on! smile

Happygirl77 Mon 24-Sep-12 19:14:01

(dc not da!)

mamij Mon 24-Sep-12 19:17:53

Don't worry about what other people think. Bf for as long as you feel comfortable with. I agree I love the closeness of it (and of course even if you stop, you could still have special cuddles).

I have a friend who's still bf her 30 month old. Mainly mornings and evenings, but isn't partial to having a bf while they are out if her DD needs a bit of a comfort feed.

whoopsfailedagain Mon 24-Sep-12 19:25:01

It's funny because it's surprised me! I thought I'd be grin to get my body back! I always loose a stone the week after I stop! But I just feel sad at the thought. Occasionally bf is all that will calm him and it makes me feel not quite so guilty about leaving him all the time!

Clearly if dc was wanting to stop I think I'd find it easier but he still wants me smile

Although I know cuddles don't stop, ones that lasted a snuggly half hour would probably fizzle out sad maybe we are both not ready just yet confused

maytheoddsbeeverinyourfavour Mon 24-Sep-12 19:27:55

If you don't feel ready to stop don't force it, don't panic that by carrying on he'll still be wanting it when he's a secondary school grin

Just keep going until either you feel the need to stop or he starts to self-wean, there's no rush, make the most of it

Pascha Mon 24-Sep-12 19:30:57

The only people you will disappoint if you stop now are you and your baby. If it ain't broke...

whoopsfailedagain Mon 24-Sep-12 19:49:51

Oh good thankyou ladies! I think I'm going to find everything with him hard being the youngest! I can't get rid of the Moses basket either confused perhaps if I keep it long enough I can put my grand children in it! I just didn't know whether I was clinging onto babyhood too long! It seems so final knowing he's my last. sad

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 24-Sep-12 19:51:57

Carry on if you are both enjoying it still! I've just fed my 18 month old to sleep, he is showing no signs of wanting to stop!

Happygirl77 Mon 24-Sep-12 23:20:20

With dc1 and dc2 I was keen to stop after a year to 'get my body back' before getting pregnant again. Now I am bf dc3 (the last!) it is quite nice not having an agenda or plan - even when I am up frequently in the night to bf I just think, "this will be the last baby I bf!" Makes the nights bearable and the bf so poignant and special.

whoopsfailedagain Tue 25-Sep-12 07:29:17

Thankyou so much lovely ladies! I think that's hit the nail on the head he is most probably my last baby and stupidly I don't want it to end, just yet! sad earth mother I am not and always thought the mums with older children still bf certainly not wrong but perhaps not encouraging their babies to grow up and be independent. I just wondered whether I was making him too dependant on me which I secretly love to pieces was unfair to him.

I look at my oldest ds and he's 14 next month! He's grown into a strong independent confident young man now and I realise I was only 4 yrs older than him when I had him! You think it will last forever dont you, but it doesn't and then you wonder where the time went sad

TanteRose Tue 25-Sep-12 07:34:31

what a lovely post, OP smile

plenty of time for them to grow up and be independent

I bf my DS (second and last baby) until he was 3! he is now 13 and very confident and independent like your DS

if it ain't broke...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: