Talk

Advanced search

Sore nipple advice needed, plus feeding on demand q

(3 Posts)
aamia Mon 24-Sep-12 15:20:16

So - little one decided to 'chew' off after one feed last night, and not surprisingly that nipple is rather sore. Can I give it a rest and just feed from the other boob for a couple of feedings? Or will it get better even if I keep using it?

Also - hungry baby feeding every hour and a half, but then he eats less so is sucking for less time. Do I make him wait longer so he's more satisfied and full at the end, or just carry on feeding him when he asks?

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 15:57:04

Have you tried any creams for sore and cracked nipples? my LO is 11 weeks now and fully bf on demand, and the first few weeks was hard as she had to get herself in a routine, I was crying at one point because my nipples were that sore but my friend told my to percivere with it and it would be worth it in the end and it was. The cream i used was Lansinoh and it was brilliant and you dont have to wash it off before you bf your baby.
Also i had a normal nipple cream from asda and kept it in the fridge and when my nipples used to be burning I put that on and it relieved it straight away.
If you leave the one nipple and just use the other you might get a build up and your breast will go really hard and sore you might want to express it out by hand to relieve it if you dont want to bf from it.
How old is you LO? [SMILE]

MigGril Mon 24-Sep-12 17:42:40

how old is you're baby?

i'm taking it that she is still very young. Feeding on demand is the best way to establish a good milk supply. Feeding every hour and half can be totally normal as breastmilk is very easily digested and young babies have very small tummies.

If your sore at all it's worth having your latch checked to see if feeding is efficient as it could be. This can also cause frequent feeding if baby isn't removing milk aseffectively as possible from the breast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now