Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for a 6 week old baby not to poo

(10 Posts)
Stinkyminkymoo Mon 24-Sep-12 04:32:22

For 12 hours?

My dd is 6 weeks old and bf, she is feeding well but hasn't had a poo in 12 hours. Is this normal? Am 1st time mum so no idea what is normal & what isn't!

TIA! smile

sarahbanshee Mon 24-Sep-12 04:39:13

Perfectly normal! Both mine have had periods of 12, 24 or even 36 hours without pooing from time to time while fully breastfed and I know even longer can be no problem. Just make sure you put her in a babygro you don't care about as the next nappy could well be a really big one!

Stinkyminkymoo Mon 24-Sep-12 05:24:55

Ok then! All normal.

Thanks also for the baby grow tip sarahb - well noted! wink

needsadviceplease Mon 24-Sep-12 05:25:19

Mine pooed regularly everu 6 days at that age! I loved it.

Aloha31 Mon 24-Sep-12 06:25:54

Bf babies often poo just once a week!

BenjiAndTheTigers Mon 24-Sep-12 06:33:30

My DS went up to 10 days. Then he would start to wriggle around and go red in the face.

That's when I would whip off the cloth nappy. He was never constipated .

The Dr. told me that BF babies can go up to 2 weeks.

Pootle78 Mon 24-Sep-12 07:15:34

We're currently on day five!

Another top tip I've been given is make sure you have a change of clothes for you, with you when you are out and about in case it happens away from home!

Stinkyminkymoo Mon 24-Sep-12 08:20:10

Thanks for all the tips! We had a poo explosion this morning. Bottom under the tap job! Baby grow and my clothes escaped unscathed! wink

OnlyWantsOne Mon 24-Sep-12 08:21:50

Dd3 goes about 8 days smile shes 4 weeks old

Loislane78 Mon 24-Sep-12 21:39:35

Thanks for this - was just about to post the same. LO not quite 6 wks, ebf and up until day before yesterday was going several times a day. That day and yesterday just 1 explosion at night time but today nothing. I understand this frequency is normal except she seems in pain - grunting, red in the face, straining, crying. Also missed her afternoon nap cos she kept waking herself up to push and now over tired and nibble feeding (unusual).

Fussiness or constipation do you reckon?

TIA smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now