Talk

Advanced search

At a cross roads

(10 Posts)
melonribena Sun 23-Sep-12 19:10:26

Hi
I've posted a few times before. My baby is almost 9 weeks old. He's been breastfed from birth, a major achievement after various infections I had, thrush and emcs.
He also had a tongue tie snipped at 5 weeks.
I've always had nipple pain and he's always struggled to get and maintain a good latch.
He has always fed pretty much constantly and that's fine! However.
I wonder whether its still normal to feed so much and wonder if my milk supply is still suffering from the tongue tie. Eg lots of milk over the day but not much in one feed if you see what I mean.
He sleeps in 3 hour blocks during the night from 9-7, feeding for about 20 mins in between. In the day he feeds about every hour for about half hour. He sucks a bit to begin with for about 5 mins, then slows down to nibble for the rest of the time.
I worry constantly if he's getting enough milk and why I'm still getting pain. Maybe his milk transfer is not good.
I'm on the verge of giving up.
But he loves to comfort suck and won't take a dummy. How can he do this if I give up? An I setting myself up for lots of crying? Any experiences of giving up breastfeeding and swapping to bottle would be great.
Thanks

mawbroon Sun 23-Sep-12 19:18:42

Who did the tongue tie?

Did they give you follow up stretches and massaging to do?

Did you see someone to do bodywork? (craniosacral therapist or cranial osteopath for eg)
Have you spoken to an IBCLC with regard to suck training exercises?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Tongue ties can reattach, especially posterior ones if the aftercare isn't done and also tt done with scissors are more likely to reattach.

This may be what has happened, or perhaps it wasn't revised deeply enough in the first instance?

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 23-Sep-12 19:22:53

My DS had TT which was snipped at 6 weeks. It regrew & had to be disrupted again twice. Could this be why it's still painful for you?

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 23-Sep-12 19:23:34

Xpost smile

melonribena Sun 23-Sep-12 19:36:05

It was a posterior tongue tie! I wasn't told about any stretches. Do you think I should see the gp to see if its reattached? Thank u

melonribena Sun 23-Sep-12 19:46:09

Sorry but what's an Ibclc and how do I contact one? His tongue tie was snipped privately by a midwife

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 23-Sep-12 19:52:18

It's a lactation consultant. You can find your local local one here smile

melonribena Sun 23-Sep-12 19:59:57

Thank you very much. I will keep plodding on and investigate all of these fab ideas tomorrow!

mawbroon Sun 23-Sep-12 20:17:04

I would skip the GP tbh, he/she is highly unlikely to be an expert in tongue tie.

You could contact Milk Matters or join the Facebook Tongue Tie Babies Support Group.

Or both!!

melonribena Sun 23-Sep-12 20:50:33

Ok will do. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now