Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to introduce formula at 6 months? Confused!

(9 Posts)
mrsnzuki Sun 23-Sep-12 13:39:17

My daughter ended up in a and E last night because she started having bloody diarrhoea. (sorted now) But the first question that came out the doctors mouth was how are you feeding her.. shes been exclusively breastfed... He said she should now have formula as shes over 6 months... (shes 9 months) I was flabbergasted... shes gaining wait well she eats 3 meals a day plus snacks why on earth should she need formula milk instead of breast milk? Can anyone help?

mawbroon Sun 23-Sep-12 13:40:35

Ignore. Doc is showing his/her ignorance about breastfeeding

Indith Sun 23-Sep-12 13:43:23

Dr is talking shit. He should of course be complained about if you feel able.

knackeredmother Sun 23-Sep-12 13:45:40

Shockingly ignorant advice. Complain. I'm a GP registrar currently working in paeds and have heard my younger, often childless, colleagues spouting crap like this. Needs patient complaints to effect change.

Limelight Sun 23-Sep-12 13:48:40

What utter twaddle! Your baby doesn't 'need' formula! How shocking that they would be so uninformed.

mrsnzuki Sun 23-Sep-12 13:53:49

Thank you for your comments... She was at a childrens hospital so they should know better... It makes me wonder if the rest of his diagnosis is correct. Im going to complain because how many other moms is he saying this too???

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 23-Sep-12 15:06:51

Definitely complain. There are too many HCP going around giving wrong advice about breastfeeding/feeding/weaning.

At least 3 friends have stopped BFing on GP's advice 12 weeks as its enough apparently hmm

nextphase Sun 23-Sep-12 15:16:48

iirc bm is about the only thing recommended to continue with food wise if a baby has D&V. The suggestions I remember ar to stop food and formula, but give liquid, or bf on demand.

If babies require formula by 6 months, both mine must be malnourished, as at 3.5 and 1.5, they have never had the stuff.

Hope your baby gets better soon

LonelyCloud Sun 23-Sep-12 16:52:26

Ignore his 'advice'. Formula is not nutritionally superior to breastmilk, regardless of the baby's age. I agree about previous poster's advice to complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now