Talk

Advanced search

How to wean a biting bottle refuser 9mo?

(6 Posts)
purpleflower123 Sun 23-Sep-12 13:16:16

DD2 is 9m in a couple of days.

We've had a really rough time of BF and I've nearly stopped feeding many times. 9months was my aim as I fed DD1 till 8 months. She's now started biting with her bottom 2 teeth. I can't do this anymore. The latch is still painful 75% of the time and my breasts regularly hurt, if I get engorged for example shes slept through, they feel bruised for at least 24hrs later.

Anyway my problem is that she refuses bottles. My friend can get one in her if I'm not there and she's almost asleep. It takes her nearly an hour just to get the bottle in her mouth which is not something I can do with 2 other DCs. DS and DD1 both happily took a bottle so weaning them was easy.

I don't know where to start. Part of me really doesn't want to stop, she's my last baby so I'll never do it again but I've had enough of the pain now sad

ZuleikaD Sun 23-Sep-12 14:38:00

Don't worry about the bottles! Give her a cup - either an open one or a freeflow and express if you want to carry on with BM. At 9m milk is much less crucial than it was so it doesn't matter if she doesn't take as much as you think she would with a breastfeed and calcium can come from other sources.

purpleflower123 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:29:09

She won't take expressed BM and if I'm going to stop I don't want to be expressing all the time. She happily drinks water from an open cup or sippy cup but if I put formula in there she spits it out. She doesn't mind cows milk but formula is a no no for her.

My other 2 always had a bottle just before bed to fill their belly's up at this age.

Since I wrote this she's fed lovely, I just don't know what to do sad

purpleflower123 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:29:23

I forgot to say thank you smile

DairyNips Sun 23-Sep-12 21:32:42

The only thing I can advise is that most biting happens when baby isn't feeding. For eg: at the end of the feed when they have finished and are just playing about a bit. You may be able to avoid further biting if you just keep a close eye and take her off when she's finished, before she gets a chance to bite.

NomNomingiaDePlum Sun 23-Sep-12 21:44:17

i feel your pain. seriously. feeding dd2 is like dangling my nipple over a mouse trap atm. i find that she gets like this when she's teething, so try to make sure she has adequate pain relief, and stop feeding as soon as possible, before she starts to mess about. but my advice might not be worth much, since i have damaged nipples, blocked ducts and feeding is agonising right now... dd has a nuby cup she drinks water out of, but if she won't drink formula this probably won't help. have you tried various dfferent formulas? i've found dd likes the premade ones in the cartons best, might be worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now