Talk

Advanced search

Constipation in ebf 11 week old

(9 Posts)
Char11 Sat 22-Sep-12 16:10:21

Hi,
My 11 week old DS is ebf. He has recently been having Gaviscon (for about 3-4 weeks) for reflux. He normally poos once or twice a day, but had not gone since thurs am (but nappies regularly wet).

This morning, he was quite cheerful then suddenly started crying in pain. I had a look in his nappy and there was a small firm yellow poo in the nappy and some more on the way out. It took him about 5 minutes to finish passing it all, screaming on and off as each new bit passed through. Afterwards I fed him and he was much happier - spent the rest of the morning feeding, sleeping or gurgling at us.

Then about half an hour ago he became grumpy again. Eventually I felt rumblings in his nappy and had a look. He passed a runny poo with harder lumps within it (about an inch big). It was a more greenish yellow with lots of white flecks.

Does this sound like something to worry about. I know gaviscon can cause constipation, and we've stopped giving it. In some ways I'm more concerrned about the second poo, cos of its colour. Could it be a sign of food allergy? He has been tested for dairy but stool sample came back negative. Or is it just his body getting over the constipation? Should we see a dr?

Sorry this is so long...!
Thanks

MigGril Sun 23-Sep-12 06:32:12

your right gaviscon can make then constipated, but if his poo is hard and be inclined to take him to the GP and get him checked out.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 23-Sep-12 06:38:59

This happened when my ebf son was about the same age. He also had reflux. I had a night of pure evil with him as he just couldn't pass anything.
In the end I asked for a referral to paediatrics and they gave us domperidone to move the milk through his system faster and ranitidine for the pain from the acid. He was like a different child afterwards.

Char11 Sun 23-Sep-12 07:37:48

That's interesting matchsticks. Think I'll take him to GP tomorrow. He hasn't been again since but is very gassy at the moment so I think he might need to go again.
He's very cheerful when he's not farting or pooing, although we had a nightmare with reflux last night - DH had to keep him upright from 3am to 6.30. Now he looks as if butter wouldn't melt!

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 23-Sep-12 08:54:59

It was also much easier when he could roll as he then was fine to sleep on his tummy. I could never settle him on his back as he was obviously in agony. How's his weight gain? My DS was slow to gain because he was feeding in such short bursts.

Char11 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:07:13

He's fairly small (25th centile) but has been gaining consistently. He was feeding in 10 minute bursts every hour or so, but the last couple of days has increased to about 30 minute feeds. Not sure if its related to getting the horrid poo out?!
Amazingly he went 5 hours last night without a feed, while sleeping on his dad, and has been guzzling this morning to make up for it!
It seems such a puzzle to work him out with his wind/reflux/constant feeding/sleeping patterns, but then I sometimes wonder, if we spent the day with someone else's baby would he just seem like a normal 11 week old!

Memom Sun 23-Sep-12 09:23:12

Have you considered baby massage? It helped a huge amount with little one, she would scream for hours when trying to poosad. Massage relaxed her and seemed to help. Mumbo jumbo to some but it worked!

Also cycling legs helps 'move' things.

Char11 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:43:06

Yeah, I think I need to sign up to a local course to get the techniques, but we have tried a few things and it does seem to help. We go to baby yoga, which involves lots of leg cycling etc and he farts like a trooper throughout! smile

hamncheese Mon 24-Sep-12 20:25:08

I had three days of hell recently with 7 week old DS not feeding properly, constantly screaming in pain trying to push and barely sleeping, pains waking him up. Got lactulose from the doctor which has turned him from a nightmare back to an angel. I'd say get the constipation looked into by doctor, it got progressively worse for my DS and made life hell! Poor thing was so sore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now