Talk

Advanced search

Celebrating 6 months of EBF

(21 Posts)
LAF77 Sat 22-Sep-12 14:02:12

DS has made it to 6 months today, no formula top ups, baby rice, mush, nothing. Just wanted to share as people in RL think that bf is such a chore or can't wait to stop.

I'm proud that I have given him what he needs to put on 9lbs and grow 13cm. I love the milk drunk expressions, finishing with a smile, and the little hands that try to guide the milk down in the middle of the night.

I think it has helped to heal the mental anguish of my body failing to support 3 previous pregnancies to know that my body could do this.

I didn't know about breast feeding really until I had him. I thought that you wouldn't be able to do it beyond 6 months but I know better now. I hope we can make it to him self-weaning.

grin You did that. Made him. Great feeling, I know.

SarryB Sat 22-Sep-12 14:10:53

Well done smile It is an amazing feeling, thinking that you have made this baby, and can feed him too smile

Snusmumriken Sat 22-Sep-12 15:26:42

Congratulations!

Pomtastic Sat 22-Sep-12 20:54:55

Congratulations!

We passed that milestone ourselves last week. I was so taken up with the excitement of starting BLW that I think our achievement passed me by a little. Did you do anything to celebrate? Maybe I'll make a booby cake smile

I'm really proud as well that DD had nothing but my milk, especially since we overcame tongue tie, lip tie, initial slow weight gain, oversupply, reflux & associated CMPI. And now she's huge! Went from the 2nd centile to the 91st!

It means a lot to me also that my body's done this amazing task - we also had 3 pregnancy losses - sorry to hear of yours.

Feeding at this stage is such a delight, you describe it beautifully smile Here's to a few more years of feeding to come wine

WeAreSix Sat 22-Sep-12 21:03:34

It's a fantastic achievement, congrats! I completely understand what you mean about your body doing something so right smile

madscimum Sun 23-Sep-12 12:20:01

Congrats! We're almost there, too, next week. We have started BLW two days ago as she was just diving for our food, but I think that still counts (especially as I don't think she's actually eaten anything yet).

Isn't it amazing what our bodies can do? smile

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 23-Sep-12 19:08:00

We're also nearly there too in a couple of weeks. I'm so v chuffed!

I come from a family of formula feeders, so feeling extra proud I have broken that cycle & been able to show them another side to feeding.

Had a lot of pressure to give up after TT, reflux, CMPI, mastitis, thrush, plus BFing gave me vaginitis for the first 4 months which was agony...but so pleased I persevered.

Just need to don my thick skin for the 'your not still BFing are you' comments that will be coming my way once we pass the 6 month mark wink

LAF77 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:07:22

Glad to see I'm in good company!

rubyslippers Sun 23-Sep-12 21:09:19

Bloody well done!

It's a good feeling and a great achievement

smile

poocatcherchampion Sun 23-Sep-12 21:11:26

We just done it too! Clever babies!

marshmallowpies Sun 23-Sep-12 21:46:36

Not managed to exclusively breast feed: some very tough early days with supply issues meant that we decided to compromise on mixed feeding as it seemed to suit us well - once we found a routine that DD was thriving on and happy, it seemed silly to tamper with it.

However i was determined not to drop the BFing - my DD is 5 months tomorrow and I'm delighted to still be breast feeding her at all.

Very much admire anyone who's done 6 months EBF but am so proud I got half way there.

SarryB Mon 24-Sep-12 12:48:40

I'm the same as you marshmallow - not EBF here, but only getting one bottle of formula a day. I'm immensely proud of us!

LO was 5 months last week, and I can't believe that when he was 10 weeks old, I almost gave up completely. I'm aware that he has lip-tie now, and I've been suffering with serious PND and psychotic episodes, we also had weight-loss issues. I have to say, I'd never thought we'd get to a place where I'd be happy to BF on a bench in the middle of the high-street, or on a busy train station platform.

Mrscog Mon 24-Sep-12 13:01:19

Congratulations! I've just celebrated a similar milestone!

ShoeJunkie Mon 24-Sep-12 14:32:55

Another 6 month ebf-er checking in - well done us smile

Indith Mon 24-Sep-12 14:36:13

Well done smile

It feels great knowing you have grown a whole human for so long!

Technically I think I've only done that once with ds1. Dd has formula for a day when I was at a training because expressing caused over supply which caused much screaming from dd so formula it was and then she helped herself to food before 6 months. Then I stopped snatching food back of ds2 a couple of weeks before 6 months too.

LimeFlower Mon 24-Sep-12 14:44:49

Congratulations,well done smile

FireOverBabylon Mon 24-Sep-12 14:52:45

And that feeling never goes away! Ds is just 3 now but was a 6 month ebf and 12 month bfeeder so he never had a bottle, just went straight on to cups at 12 months. every so often I see another mum feeding her baby, or look at a photo of me feeding DS or just see him being happy and settled and think, he had a great start.

Plus I have to admire his determination. He was not having bottles at all ever, even with EBM in, and good for you kid, you stuck to the better option even if I did have to use our savings extending my maternity leave by 3 months

Gingersnap88 Mon 24-Sep-12 16:30:55

Congratulations! I was also celebrating 6 months of EBF on the 22nd! grin

mamawharton Tue 25-Sep-12 22:56:02

just hit 7 months today ( now with solids too) but still going strong. im so proud of myself for the achievement...... only something like 2% of babies are ebf to 6 months. really going to miss it when i return to work in 8 weeks. well done everyone x

mamawharton Tue 25-Sep-12 22:58:17

fireoverbabylon we had to do the same as dd is not only a bottle refuser but also refuses my milk in any form other than me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now