Talk

Advanced search

desperate to stop bf 2 year old twins. they are desperate to continue. any advice please?

(5 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Sat 22-Sep-12 07:15:07

my twins are almost 2 and I am really ready to stop bf. we are down to 2/3 feeds a day, but two of these seem impossible to stop. they are the 5/6am just woke up one, and the getting in from nursery/evening one. they still wake in the night, but will now go back to sleep with cuddles and not bf.

of the two, I thought the evening one would be easiest to tackle first, so we tried the last two weeks to be very busy at this time. tea on the table, lots of cup milk, but it has been a nightmare with them crying continuously (tho not asking for milk) until bedtime. then last night I fed them when we got home, and it was a lovely happy evening, the first we've had in two weeks.

the 5am seems even harder to tackle because their crying wakes ds1 who has just started school.

so I am ready to stop, they aren't. I find bf them tolerable sometimes, miserable mostly, which means either I am silently miserable or they are loudly miserable. does anyone have any advice at all how to reduce their misery while stopping?

ditsydoll Sat 22-Sep-12 08:50:58

I fed my Dd until she was almost 2 and she really didn't want to stop. The only advice I can offer you is perseverance. It took a little while but once I decided to stop I never gave in and fed her. After couple of weeks it was like she had never been bf and never tried to feed again. She also started sleeping through the night when she stopped using me as a comforter to sleep. It's hard but if you stick with it you will see results. If you give in and feed they will know that you will give in if they kick up a fuss. Keep your chin up it will get better.

MamaChocoholic Sat 22-Sep-12 19:55:48

Thanks for replying, nice to know I'm not the only one to feel this way. Can I ask how much you were feeding? I worry that with around 2 x 25 minute tandem feeds, I would get mastitis if I stopped cold, which is why I'm tryin to drop one feed first.

HotheadPaisan Sat 22-Sep-12 20:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cashmere Sun 23-Sep-12 20:10:54

I stopped at 23 1/2 months as 2 was my mental 'I'll stop then point'. I'm glad I did as I was so worried that we'd both find it traumatic. It wasn't too bad at all soooo... I might keep going longer next time!!
Anyway I filled a cupboard with real treats and directed DS to that when he requested a feed (buttons, smarties etc)!
Then after 2-3 weeks I didn't restock and he was fine with that (substituted usual snacks if hungry).
Also made sure we were out and about a lot but that was as DS would want little feeds throughout the day. Maybe on the distraction theme try some new books/ DVD/ drinking vessel for the early morning feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now