Talk

Advanced search

10wk old b/f's every 1.5/2 hrs at night, or more often. i this normal, how to cope

(13 Posts)
Mag108 Thu 20-Sep-12 16:41:15

DS will sleep 2hrs at the start of the night then he wakes, feeds for an hour or more, sleeps, wakes up 20 mins/half hour/hour later for another feed, usually much shorter, 20mins, 30mins, falls asleep on the boob, put him down, pattern continues. he rarely seems unsettled, just wants to feed. its exhausting for me, longest stretch i get is 2hrs. he finishes the night usually with a sleep from 8ish to 10ish (am) - thats lying on me so i dose. He has a two hour sleep from about midday onwards, one other nap later in the day. Any tips on getting more sleep at night.? i dont think he is a very effecient feeder and we have had plenty of latch problems...

codebrown Thu 20-Sep-12 17:17:14

Sounds like it could be comfort feeding. I used to tickle DS's feet or stick my fingers in his ears while he fed to keep him awake, try to keep him away from your body (some fabric between you) so he doesn't get too warm and cosy and concentrates on feeding and not snuggling in to your warmth. Could you express? Then you could at least get a bit of a break. Also I wonder if you could try to get him in the habit of going into the cot whilst awake as he may have made the association of falling asleep with that sort of contact with you, so every time he wakes up he thinks he needs to feed/snuggle to get back off to sleep. Just a couple of random thoughts, hope they help.

Mag108 Thu 20-Sep-12 17:39:38

yeh he falls asleep so much, despite tickling, etc, only way to wake him seems to be changing his nappy. usually he falls asleep at the breast. problem is all the waking. i leave him till its clear he is awake, eyes open etc. spends alot of time flailing in the cot beforehand, hand sucking, making noises, then bam, wakes up.

feekerry Thu 20-Sep-12 17:45:37

Do you co sleep? Total god send for getting more sleep. Tbh at that age regardless of how they are fed waking up that often is pretty normal. You should get some bf help locally tho to make sure the latch is correct, and co sleep!

stripeyZ Thu 20-Sep-12 18:10:13

I co-sleep too when DS wakes frequently through growth spurts or what have you, Never thought i would as i was kind of against it before for lots of reasons but now i don't know how people survive otherwise!

Mag108 Thu 20-Sep-12 21:19:47

I need some advice on how to safely co sleep .

feekerry Thu 20-Sep-12 21:26:03

If you google it there is loads of info. If you co sleep and feed lying down then there is barely any need for you to wake! Its a god send honestly!

feekerry Thu 20-Sep-12 21:31:50

Sorry stupid phone posted early. . . Meant to say that I made a rule coz i'm lazy that I put dd in her cot at first and first time she wakes I feed as normal and put back in cot. If she wakes for a second time I bring her into bed. I'm too lazy to keep getting up and down. When she's in my bed if she starts to stir I just guide her head towards boob and job done. I dont even open my eyes now lol! Usually find were both back asleep within a minute. And for what its worth ignore anyone who says rod for back etc. My dd pretty much sleeps thru now in her own cot at 6months

Mag108 Fri 21-Sep-12 04:26:28

thks si much s for all your responses, for co sleeping, hoping our bed is big enough for all 3 of us. Can I just ask u ladies, is such constant feeding common? An getting a feeding support worker out, also, cos I don't think he is an efficient feeder. Any tips on that?

ZuleikaD Fri 21-Sep-12 07:22:46

It was certainly normal for both my DCs - they would feed pretty much every two hours around the clock. It only started to tail off around 7 months but even then there would be at least three feeds overnight. I'd go to bed around 9.30, then there'd be a feed at 11.30, one at 1.30, one at 3.30 and then awake for the day at 5.30. They were both very efficient feeders, too - 10 minutes to completely empty one boob and start on the other.

feekerry Fri 21-Sep-12 08:38:02

Remember that he will be feeding for comfort too and because he likes to be close to you so you may find some of the wakings are for comfort. My dd fed probably every hour in the day at that age but I never worked to any schedule so never really noticed it. I know its hard but try not check the time every time he feeds just go with the flow! Re the latch tho, you really need to get someone to check that. What makes you think he's not an efficient feeder? Re 3 in a bed, you could always take side off cot or crib and push up against your bed as an extension?

Mag108 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:18:25

Thanks everyone. The reason I don't think he's an efficient feeder is he feeds for ages (when he doesn't fall asleep), feeds for 50 mins or more.

mawbroon Sun 23-Sep-12 12:54:29

Has anyone who knows what they are doing checked for tongue tie?

Most hvs and gps are not experts on tongue tie.

have a read of this list of symptoms further down.

DS1 was tongue tied. He literally fed ALL THE TIME. When I mentioned it, people used to say oh yes, little babies feed all the time, but what he was doing wasn't normal. There were no beginnings or ends to feeds, they all just rolled into one and at night, he wouldn't sleep unless he was latched on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now