Talk

Advanced search

how do i get 15w ds to stop clamping and pushing?

(11 Posts)
caeleth Thu 20-Sep-12 10:10:54

Just that really. Recentlyhe's started doing it a lot. He'll clamp down and push at the boob with his hand a the same time, usually forcing the nipple out (ouch!). He'll want straight back on so it's not like he's done, and it's not during letdowns so not too fast a flow...

Any way i can get him to stop doing it?

OstrichSized Thu 20-Sep-12 11:48:20

I know what you mean. It's like they are teenagers with a bit of chewing gum, just how stretchy is a nipple?

It's a phase, I think. My dd has moved on to digging her nails into my boob and has to grab the nipple and give it a twiddle before nursing.

I put my finger in her hand to distract her from pulling away. And if I get annoyed enough, I cover up and try to nurse her after a few minutes of messing with something else.

caeleth Thu 20-Sep-12 12:21:11

Seems like the exact same thing yes...gah, i was hoping it wasn't a phase :p

Been trying the holding his hand as well, but he's a wriggly little thing and could really use my hand steadying him instead.

Hebetter not still be doing this when he gets teeth.

pinkypig Thu 20-Sep-12 14:51:31

I'm going through the same thing! Strange how they do similar odd things isn't it. Mine is 18.5 weeks and has been doing this for a week. I do what Ostrich says and put my finger in her hand to raise her hand up and away from my breast. I have to do this multiple times during the feed!

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 20-Sep-12 14:56:28

Get a muslin. fold it in half diagnally, put it over baby's shoulders like a shawl, then bring it down over their arms and tuck it behind their back before puting to breast.

caeleth Thu 20-Sep-12 17:15:46

Ooh thanks, will try that!

Some feeds are worse than other definitely. Makes me appreciate the lovely calm and efficient night feeds ;)

feekerry Thu 20-Sep-12 17:49:01

My dd used to do this at the same age then she cut her first tooth 2 weeks later at 17 weeks so maybe one is on the way! It did stop once tooth was thru and she's never bitten me.

caeleth Fri 21-Sep-12 12:04:59

Eek, teeth. That's a whole new level of scary bf-ing.

Ecgwynn Fri 21-Sep-12 12:39:15

My DS did this a few weeks ago, at about the same age. He's stopped now for some unknown reason. I tried holding his hand. Also call him a naughty baby and kiss his hand (to stop you from getting angry)!

Softlysoftly Fri 21-Sep-12 23:44:38

I was just thinking of posting this before I saw your thread! DD is nearly 17wks and constantly pawing and clawing at my boob like kneading dough and yanking it out of her mouth. I can hold her hand but like to steady her MN with my free hand. I've tried giving her a cloth to hold which works a bit.

So annoying!

caeleth Sun 23-Sep-12 20:59:10

Loojs like we're heading for teeth, he's now frantically biting on everythng (thankfully no worse on boob atleast) and rubbing his cheek.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now