Talk

Advanced search

Would I be mad to go cold turkey onto bottles?

(4 Posts)
babyblabber Wed 19-Sep-12 19:05:47

DD is 3.5mths and after 7 weeks we have finally gotten her to take a bottle, or rather found a bottle she will drink from (Nuk with latex teat for anyone in the same boat). She's not great on it, doesn't quite latch on properly but it's only day 3 and she'll take 50-100mls in one sitting.

Have only been trying once a day as frankly, boob is so much easier but am back to work in 2 weeks so I really need to wean her off the boob, at least during the day. I won't be pumping in work so need my boobs to get used to that. Was thinking of just putting her into bottles all day starting next week. I'll pump if I need to but left her for 6.5 hours last week and although my boobs were full, it was bearable. Am hoping I'll only have to pump for the first few days. Will breastfeeding from 5pm on as I should be able to make it home for then when I'm back in work. She's still waking 4/5 times a night anyway so not worried about her feeding more at night than day.

Has anyone done this?

PotteringAlong Wed 19-Sep-12 19:08:03

I did when I went back to work and had nO problems at all and have been feeding at night / weekends on the day, but DS was 8 months old.

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 20-Sep-12 15:38:41

I did same when I went back to work. Had a 3 day battle when she refused bottles, then she took bottles and refused boob. I pumped regularly when I felt uncomfortable, it got less and less and finally after about 2 weeks I didn't need to pump any more.

babyblabber Sat 22-Sep-12 19:48:25

Well today was day 1, didn't feed her from 7am-7pm. Only had to pump once but she only took about 5oz formula/expressed milk all day so she'll probably eat all night but she does that anyway. Oh god the relief when I fed her at 7 there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now