Talk

Advanced search

Nursing clothes

(19 Posts)
femmeaufoyer Tue 18-Sep-12 11:56:03

Pregnant with DC2 and planning on breast feeding as with DC1. I remember being frustrated at not being able to wear decent clothes when breast feeding before as needed easy-access and things which didn't show too much flesh. Can anybody recommend good places for nursing wear so that i can breast feed but still feel fashionable! Thanks

codebrown Tue 18-Sep-12 12:01:28

NCT sales are often a good bet, if you don't want second hand then I think Mamas and Papas had some and Blooming Marvellous if they are still going.

hmo2b Tue 18-Sep-12 12:24:57

I would thoroughly recommend the breast vest. It's a form of camisole you wear under a regular top so you can wear anything. Just google it or look on Ebay. I had a few proper breastfeeeding tops but have sold them because it's easier to feed my son in loose'ish tops with the breast vest underneath. eBay is a good place to look for regular breastfeeeding tops as well.

LemonBreeland Tue 18-Sep-12 12:27:14

I got stretchy strapped vest tops from M&S, I believe you can get good ones elsewhere too. I wore them under every normal top and pulled the vest down and my top up. Great for keeping you warm too.

MigGril Tue 18-Sep-12 14:03:29

No need for any special cloth, I did the same as Lemon.

JezzaJ9 Wed 19-Sep-12 07:26:38

I did the same as lemon and mig, but wore cheap boob tubes a couple of sizes smaller and wear them under my boobs, under any top, it keeps your tummy warm and is like a bump band but costs next to nothing from primark or h&m.

Nevercan Wed 19-Sep-12 07:28:51

Mothercare do some nice bits

CommanderShepard Sun 30-Sep-12 15:52:51

I found Mothercare/Blooming Marvellous stuff no good as they were really designed for pregnancy and the bit that accommodates the bump is vastly unflattering if you no longer have one!

I have two tops from Jojo Maman Bebe which I really like: they have a tie bit at the front which covers up two holes for poking your boobs through. Other than that I wear a top with a vest/camisole underneath - top up, vest down, job done.

mamawharton Sun 30-Sep-12 19:53:05

I've always found the 2 tops approach cheaper and easier to feed in. imo it was also more discreet than the nursing tops with flaps and side openings.

technoduck Mon 01-Oct-12 04:40:27

I agree with lemon
I've just got loads of cheap test tops from h&m that I didn't mind getting ruined and wear then under normal tops

Zara1984 Mon 01-Oct-12 04:45:11

I've picked up quite a few tips and dresses from BoobDesign.com (sorry am on phone can't link). A bit pricey (but you can often find some of the camisoles new on eBay for a bit cheaper) and their outlet section is good. Have worn some of the stuff during pregnancy too. Lovely soft fabric that washes well and well-designed openings for feeding. Looks stylish too, get lots of compliments!

TBH basically all my nursing clothes have come from there because I find the styles elsewhere to be kinda frumpy. sad

AGreenie Mon 01-Oct-12 05:58:46

I got a couple of nice tops from next, I also had some feeding vests from spirit of nature which were spandex so pulled in the tummy too! Bonus!

xkcdfangirl Mon 01-Oct-12 06:36:09

H&M do some well-designed nursing tops which I stocked up on - they had a much nicer colour range the year I needed them - some great shades of darker colours. Seems to be mainly black & white this season.

ThursdayNextIsMyHero Mon 01-Oct-12 07:08:14

I had some nice dresses from mamaway. I prefered wearing ' proper' bf clothes, rather than normal ones with a vest underneath, as I found juggling the baby and trying to hold the clothes out of the way too much faff.

ThursdayNextIsMyHero Mon 01-Oct-12 08:16:27

I've just remembered the name of the website I got a load of tops from a couple of months ago, mummylooksfab, their customer service was really good too

igglewoo Thu 04-Oct-12 10:38:19

I have several really great bf clothes from Milk & Mummy - http://www.milkandmummy.com/. They do some really stylish dresses and tops for all occasions with nice practical and discreet openings. They saved the day when I needed something a bit special for a wedding recently. The quality and service are great too. I also like their bf covers which pop into my changing bag ready for use, - and so much prettier and easier than the old muslin I used to try and feed behind.

busymummy12 Thu 04-Oct-12 10:41:50

I've just picked up on this thread as I totally had the same problem looking for a practical but fashionable 'bf' friendly outfit for a friends party I'm going to at the weekend - I struggled to find anything nice on the high street that would support me properly and allow my daughter to feed discretely but thankfully I came across www.milkandmummy.com. Lovely tops and dresses and not too expensive or frumpy.

readyforno2 Thu 04-Oct-12 10:44:57

Have a look on eBay. There are loads of breastfeeding clothes. I've found it very difficult to find any I liked on the high street but matalan do good nursing vest tops which are a nice and long too

dietcokeandwine Thu 04-Oct-12 11:47:00

I had a few nice breastfeeding tops and dresses from jojomamanbebe (you get the 10% mumsnet discount too) which were great. I know lots of mumsnetters swear by the 'vest underneath and pull one top up and one top down' thing but I could never get the hang of that - (a) it's a faff and (b) I found I got far far too hot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now