Talk

Advanced search

Ibuprofen

(5 Posts)
aliphil Mon 17-Sep-12 20:27:39

Is it OK to take ibuprofen while bfing? I've taken it for the last two nights due to blocked ducts, and DD (4 weeks) has had some pretty unpleasant-looking nappies - they stuck to her and she screamed when I had to pull them off. So I wondered if there was a connection.

nextphase Mon 17-Sep-12 20:51:24

the bfn is the best place to ask about medicines and feeding.

They state on the analgesics page that its safe.

The NHS also think its OK here.

However if your daughter is possibly reacting to it, could you cope on paracetamol?

aliphil Mon 17-Sep-12 21:31:15

Thanks. I probably can cope on paracetamol if I have to. I was going to ask the midwife today but she never came (and I waited in all day). sad

nextphase Tue 18-Sep-12 09:36:30

Your best bet is to try and unblock the ducts before they turn to mastitis.

Can you feed frequently, and have a warm compress over the affected area when feeding?

I've hear suggested that you pour warm water into a (clean) nappy, and then use that as the warmth, as it holds the heat better than a cloth, but any heat should help.

I've also cleared a duct by feeding and massaging the area at the same time, but that might not work if you need 2 hands to feed still.

Hope it clears soon

aliphil Fri 21-Sep-12 15:15:38

Thanks for the tips. I couldn't massage while feeding as it was under the breast, but I applied hot flannels, let DD have a long feed, and took ibuprofen, and it had cleared up by morning. Fingers crossed that keeps working if I need it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now