Talk

Advanced search

Frozen expressed milk gone off what have I done wrong?

(6 Posts)
sharond101 Mon 17-Sep-12 08:43:23

My son is exclusively fed with expressed breastmilk due to a medical condition. I am now beginning to need my back supply of frozen milk which I have found has gone off. Iam so upset. Hours and hours sitting on a pump because I want to give my son my own milk and its a disaster. I froze in suitable for freezing breastmilk bage, sterilised all my equipment, froze after being in fridge no longer than 16hours, kept in a separate brand new freezer to the food which is of the correct temperature and have stored it for less than 3 months. I have two types of bags and one type seems to be ok the other ruined which suggests it could be the bags although the ruined type have been in there longer and Iam now scared to give him anything from the freezer. Where has it gone wrong and what would you do?

ZuleikaD Mon 17-Sep-12 08:53:43

How do you know it's 'off'. IME it always smells and tastes a bit metallic when it's been frozen, and it always separates out too and can look a bit curdled. Just give the bag a shake when it's properly defrosted and see whether it mixes in again.

gastrognome Mon 17-Sep-12 09:52:00

There is some helpful info on Kellymom here. Sometimes the milk can smell "off" even when it isn't.

sharond101 Mon 17-Sep-12 14:37:14

it smells and tastes really bad.

ZuleikaD Mon 17-Sep-12 15:12:59

I'd keep defrosting and smelling it. Throw anything you're not comfortable giving your son. It is horribly disappointing but if it's really off, it's off.

Just out of interest, what brand of bags were they? It's become really difficult to find breastmilk bags, I found, last time around - only the Medela (incredibly expensive ones) were available last year so I got a load from ebay of Boots ones that did just as well.

jkklpu Sat 29-Sep-12 20:20:58

This happened to me, too - it's if you have a very high ?lipase? (I think) content in your milk it goes off more quickly. I still remember how upset I was when dh poured pints of the stuff out down the sink 6 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now