Talk

Advanced search

...to use AIBU to tell you how miraculous Silverette breast healing cups are?

(29 Posts)
Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 09:27:01

Posting here due to increased traffic yada yada...

Apologies if people are aware of these already BUT I just wanted to make sure I get the word out.

I have an almost 3 week old baby. We got off to a good start with BF but a lazy latch during the night a couple of days ago caused a huge and EXTREMELY painful crack half way around the base of my nipple. I couldn't feed from that side and even my clothes touching it was agony. It was so bad that even expressing on the lowest setting made me cry sad I tried Jelonet, Lansinoh, bathing with salt, you name it but it looked to be getting worse not better.

I read about Silverette breast healing cups on another forum and in complete desperation decided to try them.

Well, it's like a miracle has occurred, in less than 24 hours of wearing the cups the crack has healed and my breast is completely pain free. I am feeding from there again with no pain whatsoever (and my DC has a truly fearsome suck) and wearing the Silverttes between all feeds now.

They are quite expensive (I paid £39 for mine) but they are truly amazing. I have no links to the company or anything before people start getting narky. I am just a long term member of MN who wants to make sure people know these things exist. Apparently they are huge in Italy but haven't really taken off over here.

Anyway HTH someone else as much as it has for me.

WorraLiberty Sun 22-Jul-12 09:30:46

"Apparently they are huge in Italy"

I wonder if it's the food they eat? grin

Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 09:31:50

grin Worra

MardyBra Sun 22-Jul-12 09:33:21

Yes YABU. I'm pleased these have worked for you but there is a breastfeeding topic which I have well and truly hidden. And if anyone is experiencing difficulty they will surely look there.

My breasts have not lactacted for a decade and now resemble spaniel's ears.

Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 09:33:45

I must add, they ARE huge and pointy though so it does look like you have cyber nipples when you wear them. Its a small price to pay for pain free feeding though.

Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 09:38:24

Apt name Mardy wink

I disagree, I hardly ever visited the BF board but I have spent the past few too many years glued to this one. I posted on there yesterday and mentioned that I had ordered some Silverettes but no one seemed to know anything about them.

MardyBra Sun 22-Jul-12 09:41:01

Presumably you hardly ever visited the Bf board because you didn't have a 3 week old baby. Are you on commission or summat?

Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 09:43:29

You're right Mardy, but I also have a 15 mo old baby who I BF as well so that doesn't really follow does it?

I'm not saying I NEVER visited the forum, just that I am on here far more often.

And no, I'm not on commission - did you read my OP?

Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 09:45:40

By the way, it's a bit bloody unnecessary to be arsey with me. I have explained that I am just trying to let people know as I have found them so useful. I needn't have bothered really but I was just trying to do a Good Thing.

liketochat1 Sun 22-Jul-12 09:46:40

I'm glad it worked for you.

lollilou Sun 22-Jul-12 09:49:58

I haven't breastfed for years now but if the op's post helps one person who is going through the horrendous pain I did then she can post it all over MN.

MardyBra Sun 22-Jul-12 09:50:13

I said I was pleased they worked but I just don't think it's an AIBU topic and is better suited to the BF board. Anyway I'm keeping it bumped for you.

LittleLucifer Sun 22-Jul-12 09:50:43

Thanks Snowboarder. I'm going to pass this on to my sis who has a newborn and VERY sore nipples! Wouldn't have seen this elsewhere!

rowingdowntheriver Sun 22-Jul-12 09:56:08

Thanks snowboarder my DC2 is due in a couple of months so I'm going to order these in advance. Anything that makes breastfeeding that little bit easier!

Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 09:56:48

lollilou I gave up BF my DS1 as we just never really got it. There were many reasons I suspect (DS was born 3 mo prem and spent first 2 mo being fed via NG tube) but pain was a big factor in us stopping. I remember feeling such a failure that we'd had to give up. I just WISH I'd known about these sooner, maybe it would have been a different story?

Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 09:58:11

This is my last DC too so I will offer these for free to anyone here who wants them when I've done with them.

DigestivesWithPhiladelphia Sun 22-Jul-12 12:10:41

Thanks Snowboarder - I am pregnant for the third time and am hoping this might be the time I breast feed successfully (without cracked, agonisingly sore nipples and drops of blood falling on to my baby's head). I will definitely look at these.

Also, I wouldn't have seen this if you had posted on the breast feeding board, because I feel like I've already asked all the questions I can about breastfeeding. I had a special feeding counseller visit me at home last time and I went to a support group. Every man and his dog watched me feeding and they all said that the latch looked correct & couldn't explain why it was hurting so much.

For that price, it's definitely worth trying something else that might help.

Trills Sun 22-Jul-12 12:25:15

Yes, YABU

crikeybadger Sun 22-Jul-12 13:01:40

Glad you've found something to help heal the crack snowboarder.

Silverettes do pop up now and again on mumsnet discussions, but I guess some people are put off by the price of them.

Digestives- did anyone trained have a look in your baby's mouth to see if they had a tongue tie?

ShowOfHands Sun 22-Jul-12 13:05:57

I've heard them mentioned quite a few times... on the bf threads oddly enough grin.

It is the price that is the problem really.

eatssleepsfeeds Sun 22-Jul-12 17:14:27

Hmmm. I would truly love it if there was a virtually instant nipple crack healer on the market. I have read this post and the related thread a number of times now and can see a few things that don't ring true to me, given my (painful) experience in this area. I took time out last night to post some genuine advice to someone who I thought was undergoing the same kind of torture I went through. If this if some kind of veiled advertisement for some overpriced piece of crap, I'd be very disappointed.

crikeybadger Sun 22-Jul-12 19:34:46

I didn't read anything to make me think that this wasn't a genuine poster tbh eatsleepsfeeds. Maybe I'm just a bit naive!

I have heard very good things about silverettes before, but they really must be quite miraculous to have healed the crack overnight I grant you.

Snowboarder Sun 22-Jul-12 20:13:41

eatssleepsfeeds and crikey I can promise you that I am a genuine poster, I have been on MN for several years under various NN and have posted as Snowboarder for quite some time. You're welcome to check out my other posts to see this is true.

I have no affiliation whatsoever to the company selling the healing cups - in fact I was very skeptical myself, especially since they are so bloody expensive. I can't quite believe that from being in agony yesterday I am now feeding entirely pain free today. My only motivation in posting here was to let other people who might be considering giving up breastfeeding (as I was) because of cracked nipples know that this product might help them. I'm not telling anyone to buy anything, just sharing my experience. I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered tbh.

Loobylou12 Sun 22-Jul-12 20:39:18

Thanks for taking the time to post this. sometimes a thankless task im sure but deffo a help x

eatssleepsfeeds Sun 22-Jul-12 20:59:04

Last thing I want to do is upset a mum of a 3 wk old baby. Please ignore my cynicism. Happy feeding! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now