Talk

Advanced search

What training do you need to become a lactation consultant?

(13 Posts)
PeggyCarter Fri 06-Jul-12 10:03:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiktok Fri 06-Jul-12 11:01:26

The American info applies all over the world, AFAIK.

My understanding is that the courses you mention will not help per se - you have to have many, many hours of contact with mothers and babies before you are accepted as a potential IBCLC, and it's this that counts, rather than the quals. The body which decides on this sort of thing has been criticised for this, as HCPs with no bf training or quals and simply experience can acquire contact hours more easily.

tiktok Fri 06-Jul-12 11:01:58

But email them and ask!

Anaiasmum Fri 06-Jul-12 11:42:58

joyful, the ibclc europe provides the details of pre qualification for the exam.

Hth and good luck!

tiktok Fri 06-Jul-12 11:53:42

Ah, that clarifies things.

You need 90 hours bf education - you could do this with a few bf courses, or else a bfc training.

But the difficulty for some women would be this:
You need to offer one of the following:

- Be a registered/licensed/recognized health professional in their country
- Have completed higher education in 14 indentified [sic] subjects

So if you are not a midwife, HV, doctor or nurse or other HCP, you would need to have completed a higher ed in '14 identified subjects' which is not really how we 'do' HE in this country....

PeggyCarter Fri 06-Jul-12 12:33:01

PeggyCarter Fri 06-Jul-12 12:34:47

tickleme63 Fri 06-Jul-12 16:24:45

<waves at Joyful>

I'm about to start the ABM Mother Supporter module, and hoping to go on to the BFC qualification too! smile

PeggyCarter Fri 06-Jul-12 17:35:39

JeewizzJen Fri 06-Jul-12 19:49:25

Oooh - me too! <waves at those from high needs thread - although I've not been on there for a while!!>. I'm going to do the ABM mother supporter course soon (once I've got a bit more settled back into work, I've only been back a week!)

PeggyCarter Fri 06-Jul-12 20:26:54

tickleme63 Fri 06-Jul-12 21:32:08

<waves at Jen> smile

I know this is a zombie thread, but as its not that old I hoped some people may still be around? Just saying hi as I start peer supporter training this month, and hopefully my long term aim is to become a lactation consultant smile
I'm thinking it may be worth doing a human biology degree (OU - I'm a SAHM) alongside my other training, based on what you've written above?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now