Talk

Advanced search

How to sterilise medela pump

(10 Posts)
musica Mon 24-Nov-03 17:47:12

Ok, I've bitten the bullet and bought the medela mini electric pump, only to find I can't sterilise it in my microwave steam steriliser. So what do I do? Boil it? Or is it actually ok in the microwave? Or should I get an ordinary steriliser? Or use cold water bags?

tinyfeet Mon 24-Nov-03 18:33:12

I would just use hot water/soap - hand wash. You can boil the parts, if you want, but I never did. I never had a problem, and I used the medela pumpnstyle mini electric pump 5 days a week for nearly 5 months.

Nome Mon 24-Nov-03 19:34:46

I was peeved to find that it wouldn't go in the microwave and we ended up with a standard steam steriliser as I couldn't bear the smell of bleach/milton hanging around as I expressed. I think we could have put it through the dishwasher, but we didn't run it often enough. It's a pita, isn't it?

codswallop Mon 24-Nov-03 19:35:03

kept readin ghtis as Mandela pump!!

pupuce Mon 24-Nov-03 20:51:10

Or just boil it for 10 mins..... BUT put a loud timer on as I forgot mine, the water ran out and the kitchen caught fire - the fumes were horrid !

StressyHead Mon 24-Nov-03 20:57:51

message withdrawn

Dixie Mon 24-Nov-03 23:09:00

the instruction booklet recommended putting through a dishwasher or steam sterilizer...i put in both depending if i was running the dishwasher for other stuff.

princesspeahead Mon 24-Nov-03 23:12:34

why don't you just buy a thing of milton and do it in an old icecream carton?

ScotsBird Tue 25-Nov-03 11:29:09

I've never sterilised mine - I just washed it in hot soapy water (or dishwashed it) - make sure you get the remnants of milk off the components though !

I LOVE my Medela - it was a great purchase !!

ninja Sat 29-Nov-03 11:33:01

Damn I've been microwaving mine (in fact it'sin there now!) I only do this sometimes as I can't wash it at work

Oh well!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: