Talk

Advanced search

Windy baby at night - oversupply due to expressing at work? Help please!

(4 Posts)
Ginni Mon 24-Oct-11 11:36:01

I've been reading about oversupply and I'm quite sure that this is my problem www.lowmilksupply.org/oversupply.shtml While I've found good advice on this link about how to reduce oversupply, I need help in applying his sort of thing to my particular situation. My baby is 7.5 months old. I work full time having returned 4 weeks ago. I express at work with a double pump (Aveda). Since I've been back at work my baby has had serious problems with wind during the night which she never had before. My baby feeds to sleep and then wakes 30 mins to an hour later writhing with what must be very painful wind. I have to massage her belly and work her legs to get some big trumps out! Then we feed to sleep again and this waking with wind is repeated many, many times through the night. Its terrible for both of us. I'm going to try feeding from one side every time she wakes for 2-3 hours and will see how that goes. Our positioning is fine and I let my milk flow into a towel when I get a fast letdown and she comes off. But I would love to hear some suggestions from you guys too. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I stop using a double pump and express from only one side? I don't want to express much less milk than I am doing at present though.

Off2CtheWorld Mon 24-Oct-11 19:38:53

My DS didn't have similar wind problems, but I had problems with oversupply and pumping. I make sure that DH who is home with DS sends me an sms with the ml that he drinks, and I don't pump any more than that. I also had to go down to one side at each feed for a 3-4 hour period while home, and that definitely helped my oversupply get back on track. I only pump one side at each pump session at work, unless (now) I can't get enough, then I'll take both - to match DS's intake.

Good luck!

bebemoojem Mon 24-Oct-11 19:47:37

Yeah I'd suggest block feeding at night for 2 or 3 times a side before going to the opposite side. Maybe cut your pumping time down by a quarter and then continue to slowly decrease the time you pump until your supply fits in with feeds. Another thing you can do (which I'm currently doing with my lo because I have oversupply) is hand express some foremilk off (to be left for mixing in cereals for the next morning) so that the lo gets less of it and more hind milk which will mean (usually) less wind.
Plus, at 7.5 months there's a possibility to could start weaning out the day feeds (while you're at work so you'd not be needing to pump for them any longer) and just going with solids. I know my lo stopped taking day milk at about this time (on her own- I didn't force the issue) and we had a morning feed, a late afternoon feed and the evening feed.

Ginni Tue 25-Oct-11 13:13:09

Thank you guys that's all really helpful. My DH is also stay at home dad so I'll try texting him too. I've never got to grips with hand expressing maybe it's time I did now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now