Talk

Advanced search

Not feeding from one side, what should I do?

(5 Posts)
lookout Mon 24-Oct-11 08:34:01

Ds is 2 weeks old. He has a tongue tie which is due to be cut on Friday. We've had a lot of issues feeding. I am now using nipple shields and expressing morning and evening. Ds feeds every three hours ish, including one bottle of expressed which dh gives him overnight so I can sleep a bit. Problem is my left boob never feels full and when I offer ds that side, he feeds for no more than 5 minutes before drifting off. When he goes on the other side, always much fuller, he is voracious and feeds well and properly for between 20 and 30 minutes. Is this because the left side isn't making as much milk? Or is it something else? What can I do to remedy the situation? I'm hoping that after the little op on Friday, I will be able to wean him off the shields and get him feeding properly again, but I know this will be problematic if one side doesn't have enough milk sad. Any help gratefully accepted!

MigGril Mon 24-Oct-11 09:00:13

Could be a no of things. Flow can be different from one side to the other (which could mean he's getting more milk faster off that side). He may prefare the flow on one side. He could be having more difficulty feeding of one side, this could be because of TT or if he had a diffuiclt birth baby's can prefear to lie on one side.

Have you tired a rugby hold possition on that side so he's the same way round as he would be when feeding off the other side?

Don't panic to much on the having enough milk side of things as you can feed a baby off one breast without a problem. Although you may want to persaver as this can leave you a little lobsided while feeding.

Booboostoo Mon 24-Oct-11 09:41:56

Congratulations on the new arrival!

I'm sure someone more experienced will come onto help soon but from what I know it's possible to bf from one breast, I think you need to keep expressing from the other though.

One thing worth trying is different holds. If he feeds in the craddle hold on the right, try the rugby hold on the left as his reluctance to feed on the left may be related to a posotioning preference.

I am sure that cutting the tongue tie will also help so try to hang in there! You're doing great and it does get easier!

Booboostoo Mon 24-Oct-11 09:44:08

Ooops sorry my reply repeated MigGril's points! I started replying then the baby started screaming and it took ages to finally post it!!

lookout Mon 24-Oct-11 16:07:42

Been a bit of a manic day, so sorry for the late reply. I will try a different hold, but if that doesn't work how can I ensure my supply doesn't disappear on the left? I have expressed already today and got less than half what I got on the other side. I'm quite worries about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now