Talk

Advanced search

My very sleepy newborn....2.5wks in & she's still mega sleepy. Any advice??

(4 Posts)
icravecheese Sun 23-Oct-11 12:38:04

Hi All,

I posted a few weeks ago when I'd brought my DD home from hospital. She'd lost 9% birth weight, had tongue tie cut at 3 days, & was basically a very sleepy baby & was proving difficult to wake for a feed & keep awake for a feed.

Well, I persevered with the midwives advice of waking her every 3hours during the day (I start to stir her after 2.5hrs) & by day 7 or 8 she was showing good improvement - she was starting to wake on her own for some of her feeds, she is still going a good 4 hours at night (I set my alarm to make sure she sleeps no more than 4hours at a time).

My question / concern is, she is still VERy sleepy, she is now 16days old & has had some days (eg thurs & fri of this last week) when she has been very hungry & fed for 3 hours constantly. But last night & today she has reverted back to Little Miss Sleepyhead. She has plenty of nice wet nappies & 2 or 3 big yellow mustardy poo's per day.

This is my 3rd baby, & I wonder if I'm just fussing / stressing un-necessarily? Has anyone else given birth to a perfectly formed, little sleepyhead? Sounds daft, but I worry something is up - it seems so alien to me to have a baby who doesnt wake much or fuss or cry or scream.....does anyone have any advice / can they reassure???! Thanks x

icravecheese Sun 23-Oct-11 12:40:04

oh ps, last time she was weighed (day 11) she was back up to only 3.5% birth weight loss (from 9% on day 3), so she seems to be gaining weight slowly but steadily. She is being weighed again on tues (day 18)...

grubbalo Sun 23-Oct-11 14:26:13

Hi there

No tips really, but just wanted to say my 11 day old (also DC3) is identical to this. I am so used to my previous 2 who fed all the time, barely dropped any birthweight, were terrible sleepers - this one is so, so different. The only thing that is obviously different is that this one is a girl!

While she keeps (slowly) putting on weight I'm not going to worry too much, but it is very odd!

icravecheese Sun 23-Oct-11 15:11:37

Thanks grubbalo, nice to know my sleepyhead isn't the only sleepy girl around! I have HV tues so might mention it. then, but.she may well have decided to wake up again by then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now