Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis Woes

(9 Posts)
Taranta Sun 23-Oct-11 07:24:21

Just developed my third bout of mastitis since DS was born 5 months ago. Lower half of right boob red and sore, and am feverish and chilly. Luckily i have a 14 day prescription for ABs from GPs already so started taking them last night.

DS won't feed on affected side though, keeps pulling off as I presume doesn't like the salty taste. I keep trying but keeps twisting and writhing on that side <ouch>. I am using heat pack and attempting to hand express, can't get anything out using pump. Is there any else I can do to help this before i go and get a cabbage? (DH is away and DS is v demanding so can't go to bed alas though I feel shocking).

Thanks

MrsKitty Sun 23-Oct-11 07:58:45

Perhaps try a warm bath / warm cloth on affected breast, gentle massage of affected side & then express in the bath? Would DS be happy to play in his bouncy chair next to the bath / with some toys?

MrsKitty Sun 23-Oct-11 07:59:28

Oh, and I hope you feel better soon sad

Taranta Sun 23-Oct-11 08:35:53

Thanks MrsK - will try a bath - did have one yestrday but I think the blockage is quite deep so didn't have too much of an effect. DS gets bored easily but hoping that he'll let me have 5 mins before he starts complaining for a change of scene!

MrsKitty Sun 23-Oct-11 08:53:48

Make sure you do plenty of breast massage before you try to actively express anything too. (I always used to get impatient, and wanted to just start 'expressing' straight away, but during a very painful blockage I finally found relief by lying on the sofa watching TV and massaging my breast for about an hour before finally clearing it!

Bring loads of toys in to the bathroom with you, and play peekaboo from behind the bath / shower curtain!

MrsKitty Sun 23-Oct-11 08:55:04

Oh and a bit of olive oil on the palms of your hands will make massage easier [wgrin]

LetTheSlaughterBeGincognito Sun 23-Oct-11 09:08:55

Poor you, it's miserable. My ds also refuses the breast when I've had mastitis.

I don't have anything helpful to add really, just sympathy. Have you checked out the Kellymom page on causes of recurrent mastitis? Might be worth thinking about whether there's anything you can do to reduce the likelihood of another attack.

Also, is there no one who could come and give you a hand for a couple of hours? You must feel dreadful. The only time I felt worse was when I had meningitis!

Taranta Sun 23-Oct-11 10:46:19

Hi Slaughter (if I may be so informal), have checked kellymom, I think its due to early nipple damage, also have Raynauds phenomenon which makes them v prone to general pain. Urgh it's painful and depressing, just had a bath and hopefully boob will soften up,also wide toothed combing area, we shall see.
Should take DS out really but dread the chilly weather. Will just have to get every toy out imaginable. Alas my family are all a long way away and everyone seems to have vanished for half term. Oh well, DH will be back at 7pm... <prays for a teething-free afternoon>

LetTheSlaughterBeGincognito Sun 23-Oct-11 17:18:46

grin

My normal nn is Gincognito - just fancied a gruesome Halloween change!

Hope your afternoon has been peaceful. When desperate, do not feel bad about putting the telly on! Needs must. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now