Talk

Advanced search

Painful feeding now DD has teeth - please help

(4 Posts)
haloflo Sat 22-Oct-11 13:10:02

DD cut her bottom two teeth a couple of weeks ago and has been feeding fine since. Yesterday she was being silly and distracted and bit me. I yelled out and she laughed. confused I know that wasn't what I was supposed to do but it was just a reaction. I didn't bleed but under my nipple is scratched and bruised. Last night she would not settle and wanted to be fed constantly. It was awful and really hurt sad

It was almost like she was tired and didn't want to open her mouth very wide?

The feeds today have been awful. I've been on edge and just now before her nap the pain was unbearable again. I was counting down the seconds.

I feel like I can feel her bottom two teeth scratching me at all times. Its very painful on the bitten side and uncomfortable on the other side.

Can anyone help? Is this just a phase? I don't want to quit breastfeeding. DD is a week away from being 7mo.

hazchem Sat 22-Oct-11 17:03:48

My DS is almost 8 months and has 4 teeth. I'm finding with each tooth I have about 48 hours where we have to relearn the latch. This doesn't happen on the same day as the tooth comes through but a few days after.
With the first tooth I clearly remember crying thinking i was going to have to stop feeding because i was in so much pain. Then the next day we seamed to have the latch much better and it stopped hurting.
In my (very) limited experience it is a a phase

Purplebuns Sat 22-Oct-11 17:30:47

I had to relearn the latch too and it would eventually right itself. DD cut 12 teeth in about 3 months which was hell, but we managed to feed fine with going right back to basics like you would with a newborn.

haloflo Sat 22-Oct-11 18:28:50

Thank you for your replies. The 4pm and bedtime feeds were ok although not perfect.

I hope we do relearn the latch ASAP. I'm not really how to make her latch on any differently though. She basically lauches herself at me. Fingers crossed tonight/tomorrow are better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now