Talk

Advanced search

Any way to make a 6 week old do a poo?

(8 Posts)
MrsRetchingBloodAndGuts Fri 21-Oct-11 23:00:04

well there's a thread title I didn't think I'd be typing!

I'm combination feeding and she seems to get blocked up a bit since I've started the formula but usually only for a couple of days.

But we're at the end of the fourth day now and she's clearly uncomfortable sad

What am I allowed to give a 6 week old or does anyone know anything that works?

mousyfledermaus Fri 21-Oct-11 23:01:28

you can gently massage her belly clockwise with warm hands.
warm bath also is known to help.

RitaMorgan Fri 21-Oct-11 23:05:06

How much formula are you giving her? Maybe cut right back and then re-introduce it slowly building up the amount once she is tolerating it.

BertieBotts Fri 21-Oct-11 23:05:45

You could try changing the formula if you think it's affecting her. But it is quite normal for breastfed babies of this age to go up to a week without doing a poo - I'm not quite sure how far this applies if she's having formula too, but the gap in itself isn't too much of a reason to worry. Although if you say she's uncomfortable that can't be fun sad I know my doctor told me when DS was tiny that if the poo is soft when it comes out, it's not constipation - they just like to save it up, some of them!

ShowOfHands Fri 21-Oct-11 23:08:46

Be halfway out the door on the way to pick up older dc from school. That was me this afternoon. DS hasn't pooed for a couple of days, this afternoon he exploded. Up to his neck, down to his feet. Cleaned up and he did it again. Perfect timing.

Warm baths help. Cycling legs, pumping legs, massaging stomach in a clockwork direction, tiger in tree hold and swaying motion.

MrsRetchingBloodAndGuts Fri 21-Oct-11 23:12:29

Ahh, clockwise! Thanks mousy, I couldn't remember which way it is.

She's not actually on much formula, I started her on an ounce or two and now she has about one bottle (4oz) a day although she did have two bottles a few days ago, she hasn't had any for the last two days as we've been home and I only use the formula for when we are out and about.

I just want her to be comfortable sad

MrsRetchingBloodAndGuts Fri 21-Oct-11 23:15:16

grin showy! I'd be so happy to be cleaning up poo right now!

She won't sleep, she's usually in bed by 9pm but she won't sleep tonight unless she's on her front with me rubbing her back.

Been doing the legs cycling thing, (been getting lots of farts!) what's tiger in tree?

oopslateagain Fri 21-Oct-11 23:18:46

tiger in tree

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now