Talk

Advanced search

15 week old, please help!

(8 Posts)
snowchick1977 Fri 21-Oct-11 10:58:09

Hi, i posted this in "sleep" but didnt get a response. As its feeding related too, can any of you advise.....this forum has been a true Godsend to me.

Dd is 15 weeks old, was born 4 weeks early weighed 5lb 6oz.

She was ebf until 10 weeks when we introduced a bottle of formula, to get her used to it when I return to work. She has been an ok sleeper, waking at 12,3 and 6 for 10 minute feeds....i've tried not feeding her in case it is just habit, but she does seem hungry.

Anyway this last week we have been following the routine below, but the waking at 3, 4, 5 and 6 is killing me because im effectively up and awake from 3 really with napping inbetween.

Can anyone suggest anything to improve this routine......so that she sleeps in the early hours?

Thanks in advance

9.30am breastfeed 30 mins
12.30. Breastfeed 30 mins
2.30 breastfeed 30 mins
6pm formula feed 6oz
8.15pm bath
8.30pm formula feed 5oz
10.30pm dreamfeed formula 4oz
1.30am breastfeed 20 mins
4am breastfeed 10 mins
6am breastfeed 10 mins

P.s. I am slowly going to formula (dont want to really) but have to due to return to work.

tiktok Fri 21-Oct-11 11:15:54

Sorry, snow, not really understanding this!

The routine you have pasted shows a baby waking a couple of times in the night - not at all frequent for a 15 week old.

Is there any reason you are timing the breastfeeds? Or are you just recording that this is the time she spends bf?

snowchick1977 Fri 21-Oct-11 11:27:34

Hi

Sorry, the time she bf is just the time she bf, I dont force this, it is always 30 mins ithe day then 10 mins at night.

Last 3 days she has done the above plus a 10 minute feed at 3am and 5am

I forgot to add these in as I just copied it from my phone.

Perhaps it is normal then?

beckieperk Fri 21-Oct-11 12:46:18

Growth spurt? Probably wont last so I'd try and just go with it. Easy to say I suppose....much more difficult to do.sad

OliviaTwist Fri 21-Oct-11 12:57:23

You're not going to like this......I would say that was entirely normal, certainly at 15 weeks. DS feeds at least that frequently in the night (24 weeks).

We co-sleep so I don't have to get up which makes it bearable. Could you consider this?

tiktok Fri 21-Oct-11 13:00:39

It all sounds normal, I agree - and fighting it is often harder than going with the flow.

She is still so very young. She may well change her pattern as she gets older, whatever you do smile

There are ways to make it easier for yourself - bed-sharing is the easiest, and there are ways to do this safely.

snowchick1977 Fri 21-Oct-11 14:23:07

Thanks again everyone.

I guess it doesnt help when all you ever hear is how "my baby is sleeping through the night" ive stopped going to groups now because im just sick of the constant comparisons in weight,sleep, size, buggy, walking, talking etc etc too much pressure for me.

This has resulted in me being at home more and probably analysing things more because I have time on my hands.

I didnt think maternity leave would be so lonely...all my friends work and parents work too. Husband is at work 7-7

I guess ill just go with the flow and get up 6 times a night for a while smile

Xx

Midori1999 Fri 21-Oct-11 14:57:46

I'm not a very experienced BF'er, my DD is only 4 months old and I started BF my other 3 DC but it didn't work out sadly.

However, at the moment my DD is waking up far more than she ever has at night, but whereas before she would wake up once or twice and either we'd co-sleep after that or I'd stay awake for her short feed and then pop her back into her carrycot, I now put her in bed with me when I go up to bed and she stays there until morning. I leave the boob 'nearest' to her out and either I can just quickly latch her on if she stirs or she wriggles over and latches herself on. Then, roughly halfway through the night, I swap sides and turn over so she then feeds from the other side. I couldn't even tell you how many times she is waking, I get far more slep this way and I really feel like there's no time limit as to how long I can carry it on for, it just really works for us.

So, if co-sleeping is an option for you, I'd say it's definitely worth considering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now