Talk

Advanced search

questions about sterilising

(10 Posts)
JazzAnnNonMouse Thu 20-Oct-11 17:47:13

I breastfeed normally but use a formula feed at midnight because it seems to fill her up more.
I understand that if you dishwash it's the same as sterilising - does this only count if you dont open the dishwasher until you need the bottle?
because I only use one (or two) bottles a day I am currently putting the steriiser on daily but could I sterilise a weeks worth and therefore only have to sterilise once a week? or will they not be sterile when it comes to putting the water in?
How long before making the bottle up can I put the boiling water in the bottle?
How long does it last once the bottle is fully made up?
arghhhhhhhhh!
The thing is Im getting stressed about this but then stick my finger in her mouth.... I don't sterilise my finger fgs!

lilham Thu 20-Oct-11 19:14:51

Tbh I wouldn't trust the dishwater. My teats developed a crust of whitish stuff on the tip. It comes off when I scrubbed it with a bottle brush. Go figure.

lilham Thu 20-Oct-11 19:18:59

Oh forgot your other questions. I used a Milton bucket which is easy. I assume the microwave ones good for the odd bottles too. For the formula, you need water at least 70c to mix with the powder. It's the powder that's not sterile, not the water. Once dissolved you can mix with cooled boiled water to reach a good temperature. Or store at the back of the fridge for less than 24hr.

wigglesrock Thu 20-Oct-11 20:38:51

You need to boil the kettle and leave it for no more than 30 mins before making up the bottle. Once the bottle is made up, you need to use it within 2 hours, it used to be an hour but I think it has been amended.

I just use a microwave steriliser and really like it. How old is the baby, I don't sterilise past 5-6 months.

JazzAnnNonMouse Thu 20-Oct-11 20:48:55

I have an electric steriliser because the microwave one we brought doesn't fit in the microwave...
She's 6 weeks smile

If I sterilise the bottles in the steriliser will the bottles be ok for a few days? (with nothing in them)

Natzer Thu 20-Oct-11 20:59:05

Once you open the sterilizer they are no longer sterile and need to be used.

I suggest that you wash and sterilize the 2 bottles a few hours before you need them. If you don't use the second bottle just leave it in the sterilizer to be sterilized next time.

I would also suggest that since your LO is only 6 weeks that you make each feed fresh, once you have made it sit it in a bowl with ice cold water, it cools really quickly. Use the feed within 2 hours max.

I didn't pre make bottles until my dd was about 16 weeks. Now I make a days worth each evening.

I think at 6 weeks its worth doing everything like this by the book.

wigglesrock Thu 20-Oct-11 21:04:03

Jazz... My microwave steriliser just fitted grin. Just re-read your OP and realised its the midnight feed you're using the formula for, would you consider the pre-made cartons if you're doing only one or two bottles a day.

6 weeks grin, enjoy every minute, even the midnight ones, I blinked and dd3 is 8 months shock

JazzAnnNonMouse Fri 21-Oct-11 17:03:04

I would consider using the cartons - if I did that would I be able to sterilise a weeks worth of bottles and pour the cartons in as needed or would I still have to sterilise a bottle a night?
I feel like I'm sterilising as much as I would be if I was fully formula feeding!!

Natzer Fri 21-Oct-11 19:48:54

Yes you will still need to sterilize every day. Once the sterilizer has been on they are not sterile once opened.

Surely its not much of a chore to put 2 bottles in the sterilizer each day? (that really wasn't meant to sound quite as bitchy as it does grin - I just don't see its such an issue)

wigglesrock Fri 21-Oct-11 19:51:59

I have always formula fed so the steriliser has never been that big an issue for me - but when I was caught out with the dds needing a bottle and I hadn't one sterilised. I boiled the kettle, and ran the boiling water over the bottle, teat etc. A lot of people don't sterilise bottles at all, just use the dishwasher, or hot, soapy water and leave the bottle on a bottle tree.

I would just use the steriliser every day, but I'm used to it and I've never found it that cumbersome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now