Talk

Advanced search

I've had it with expressing- which formula is best?

(9 Posts)
SkinnyGirlBethany Thu 20-Oct-11 12:49:29

Hi, my dd is bf and I'm trying to get her to take a bottle- need to for my return to work - she will be 3.5 months on my first 'into touch day'.
Anyway I keep expressing (takes forever, buggers up my supply as I can't do it every day at the same time, and I get down when she won't take it) so I need to know which formula would suit a 11 week old, 75th centile girl, who has grown out of colic.
Also how do u prepare it (do they come with instructions/ measuring stuff). I'm clueless as bfed dd1 till her first birthday which coincided with my return to work. I'm going back earlier this time from 6 months as I only do 2 days (but my keep intouch days begin soon)

SkinnyGirlBethany Thu 20-Oct-11 12:50:38

Oh and she sleeps right throu so she feeds constantly during the day so shell need a bottle iyswim

MigGril Thu 20-Oct-11 12:54:55

Any first formula, prefabley one which your local shop stock so is easy to get hold of. There is no real difference in them and non that are better then others.

GlaikitFizzogOnaNeepyLantern Thu 20-Oct-11 12:58:37

I expressed exclusivley for DS until he was 16 week then "weaned" him on to formula. I went for Aptimil because a MW told me it was apparently the closest in formulation to BM. I have no idea if this is true. The tub comes with instructions on how to make it up and it's simple enough. I boild the kettle leave it for half an hour (sometimes I don't because DS is hungry) pour the water, add the powder, I measure the powder in to one of the storage tubs you get to taking formula out and about because the scoop gets sticky from the steam otherwise, shake, maybe do a little dancw while shaking for DSs amusment, if its still too hot I sit it in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes until its ok. Feed burp avoid the puke!!

What I will say is DS did become a bit more sicky when I started the formula but it passed quickly and his nappies changed from a poo every 8 days to every day and stinking!! Ah the joys!

Will you still do a morning and evening BF?

GlaikitFizzogOnaNeepyLantern Thu 20-Oct-11 13:00:04

Oh and DS stopped sleeping through when he went on to purely just formula, maybe just a coincidence with the 16 week sleep regression thingy but he has a dream feed now at 11ish to see him through the night.

catsareevil Thu 20-Oct-11 13:05:49

When I used formula I used the organic cow and gate one sometimes and Aptamil at others, but that was at 7 months +

Formulas are all made to pretty tight specifications, so much of a muchness.

bettieblue Thu 20-Oct-11 13:06:25

Hi

I don't know if there is as best formula, i had problems bf so have bottle fed from early on. I asked the HV which formula they recommend, she said they weren't allowed to but asked what i was using- aptamil and she said she approved!. I was having to mix feed in hospital and they provided me with apatamil so i continued to use it.

It does come with instructions, however the guidance on making up bottles has changed. They recommend you boil kettle, leave for half an hour to get the water to 70 degrees make up bottle. When the bottle is made run under tap to cool it to correct temp. A right faff especially if you are night feeding. Intially i bought ready made cartons to use at night and made up the formula as they suggested. (The reason the water has to be at 70c is to kill a bacteria that grows in formula). Well when DS was feeding 10 times a day it was ridiculous. I now make up the bottles in advance like this;

Boil kettle, pour hot water into bottle. It takes about 5-7 mins to get down to 70 degrees (i timed it!). Put formula in bottle and cool bottle down by sticking in jug of cold water. Stick in fridge. Take out before needed and stick in hot water to warm to room temp. Made up bottles shouldn't be in fridge more than 24 hours.

I know lots don't approve of this but until a few years ago you could make up bottles in advance. My DS is 5 months old and it hasn't done him any harm but of course its personal choice.

You will need a brush to wash bottles, steriliser, the formula come with a scoop. I would buy a plastic stirer to mix formula with water otherwise you can get lumps.

Mampig Thu 20-Oct-11 13:11:09

The Aptimil tin is a dream compared to others as scoop sits in lid- no hoking for it in powder- and there's a piece of plastic combined to top of tin so you don't need knife for leveling scoops. Little things, but make life easier x

SkinnyGirlBethany Thu 20-Oct-11 13:36:23

Thanks I will only give formula the 2 days where I work - shell still have morning and bedtime and poss lunch feed on one of the days, and use it for now a few feeds a week to try to get her to take a bottle. I think it will be 3-4 bottles a week max till
She can go all day at nursery with just a lunch time breastfeed.
I'm going to print this thread off n study it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now