Talk

Advanced search

Tongue tie

(5 Posts)
faverolles Wed 19-Oct-11 21:51:00

I've just been reading a thread about a poor mother who has had terrible support in hospital with her TT'd baby, and it's making me so cross that none of the baby "experts" check for TT, or even recognise it when it's pointed out to them.

My DS has a TT. It was eventually snipped after 11 weeks, following weeks of battles with mw's, hv's and gp's. If he had been my first baby, I'd have stopped bfing him before he was a week old. It's a disgrace.

Realistically, is there any way that a TT check could be introduced to new baby checks?

How would someone go about starting a campaign to raise awareness of this, and does anyone else think it would be worthwhile trying to do this?

I know I'm rambling here, and probably not making much sense, but this makes me so cross, and I wouldn't know the first thing to start a campaign like this, but I know so many people who tried but couldn't bf, and feel like failures and feel guilty because they couldn't feed their baby, when a simple check could have stopped these problems in their tracks.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

BoobyandtheBeads Wed 19-Oct-11 21:53:35

If you join this group on fb then they may be able to help you more with who you could contact etc.

www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/

faverolles Wed 19-Oct-11 21:58:37

Thankyou smile
I've asked to join.

MightilyOats Thu 20-Oct-11 23:07:08

I'm with you on this one, DS is now a week old and if it hadn't been for MN I was pregnant I wouldn't have recognised that he was TT and would probably have given up breastfeeding by now. He has a poor latch so feeding has gradually got more and more painful day by day. Seeing a consultant on Monday, so that's positive, but the TT was only picked up because I raised it as a possibility - everyone was too busy trying to shove his head on the boob. I'm now reluctantly using nipple shields so I can at least keep on breastfeeding with some semblance of normality, but having to express a lot and bottlefeed the ebm. I really do wish it could be made a part of the standard paed checks, it would only take them a few more seconds and could make all the difference.

MightilyOats Thu 20-Oct-11 23:08:02

*when I was pregnant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now