Talk

Advanced search

Baby vomiting after whole milk

(6 Posts)
Caz1976 Wed 19-Oct-11 19:17:08

I switched my DS to whole milk about 10 days ago, prior to that he was bottle-fed on Aptamil. He loved it immediately and that was that. But in the past week he has been puking after his evening feed, and I'm beginning to wonder if he's finding the milk too rich. Should I be giving him less milk that I did formula as he gets used to it? He's also been having very soft poos - sometimes actually diarrhoea. I'm not sure if a) he's got a tummy bug (he had a fever a few days ago), b) a dairy intolerance (though I've been cooking with cow's milk and giving him yoghurts etc since he was six months old) or c) he just needs time to adjust. Any advice would be much appreciated!

nowwearefour Wed 19-Oct-11 19:27:42

how old is your ds?

Caz1976 Wed 19-Oct-11 19:36:19

He turned one two weeks ago

Iggly Wed 19-Oct-11 20:40:09

Try ditching the milk and go back to formula for a couple of weeks.

Cows milk in its raw form is harder to digest than other processed dairy. Plus if he's ill (eg a cold) it's harder to digest anyway.

I stopped dairy for nearly two years and was fine when I had cheese/yoghurts again. But milk made me sick (still does).

So back to my first point - stop the milk and go back to formula as he's probably still affected by the virus. Then try swapping one feed at a time with cows milk gradually after a couple of weeks (so swap one feed every few days). Watch for a reaction - if he gets worse again, you can give other dairy products for calcium with a bit of formula too.

Caz1976 Wed 19-Oct-11 21:00:30

Thank you so much Iggly - very good advice which I shall take!

Iggly Wed 19-Oct-11 21:12:00

You're welcome - hope it works out ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now