Talk

Advanced search

Painful let-down

(5 Posts)
chinateacup Wed 19-Oct-11 17:18:53

I've been bf for 4+ weeks and finding in the last week or so the let-down has been getting progressively more painful. Otherwise everything seems to be going ok (colic aside sad )
Do you think it may be blocked ducts or anything worth seeing a doc about?
I BF DS1 for 5 months and seem to remember the feeling being unremarkable. Or is that the beauty of time on the memory?!

fatbottomgirl Wed 19-Oct-11 17:45:09

I am no expert, but my let down is still very painful and DS is 10 weeks. I think it's because I have an oversupply problem and a very fast let down. This could be something to do with the colic!?
Hopefully an expert will be along shortly for you.

mamsnet Wed 19-Oct-11 17:50:54

It could also be thrush. Try to get it sen by a BF expert not a GP

chinateacup Wed 19-Oct-11 19:36:19

Thankyou. One boob now feeling tender even when not feeding sad. Think it's going to be a long night!

How should I contact a counsellor btw? Via HV? We didn't do NCT/ classes this time as moved house (miles away) at the wrong time and I know I had telnos from there last time.

nightshade Wed 19-Oct-11 20:16:06

painful let down can be normal but do watch out for thrush/ mastitis.

i found that fleecy washable pads helped as thay kept nipples warm and were less irritating than disposables.

let down pain should get less as baby gets older. at four weeks there will be an increase in milk supply due to growth spurt, which may well contribute to increase in pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now