Talk

Advanced search

Going to BF group while pregnant? Strange or not?

(10 Posts)
Kayzr Wed 19-Oct-11 13:40:06

I am just 5 weeks pregnant but already worrying about bf. It didn't work out with either of the boys for various reasons. I really want to get it right this time. So I thought I would have a look for nearest BF group and go along to ask for some information and help nearer due date.

But then I wondered if it would be a bit strange to go along without a baby to feed. So do you think it would be strange?

Also does anyone know if I can request not to have the MW who has twice now told me I cant BF due to baby not gaining enough weight, breasts and/or nipples wrong shape and size and forced formula top ups or risk baby being taken to hospital?

Thanks

organiccarrotcake Wed 19-Oct-11 13:42:06

1) Not at all. I love seeing pregnant ladies at my groups. It's a BRILLIANT time to come.

2) Absolutely. And I would make a complaint about her, too. angry

Kayzr Wed 19-Oct-11 13:44:09

I complained after DS2 was born. I got an apology and told she was sent on a course about breastfeeding. But I still don't want to see her unless its an emergency or something.

mumwithdice Wed 19-Oct-11 13:46:43

Agree with organic. The advantage you will have is being able to see many different ways of bfing which may help you in the long run.

Debs75 Wed 19-Oct-11 13:48:51

Go along and learn as much as you can. It is nice to see how some people will try and get as informed as possible rather then believe some of the rubbish spouted by HCP's. I really hope you can learn something which will help you succeed at breastfeeding.

LetTheSlaughterBeGincognito Wed 19-Oct-11 13:49:21

Fab idea.

welliesandpyjamas Wed 19-Oct-11 13:52:30

Definitely a good idea to go. I think it's crucial to become familiar with BFing, seeing how it's done without feeling embarrassed, before starting on it yourself. Sadly, at the risk of sounding fuddy-duddy, "these days" we don't live in a society where this is normal in families any more.

Kayzr Wed 19-Oct-11 14:07:46

Thank you. At least I know now that I wont look strange without a baby. grin

GoldenGreen Wed 19-Oct-11 14:13:31

Yes, I did, for the same reasons as you. My friend offered to go with me as she knew I was a bit shy (she did have a baby with her!). It was the best thing ever for my confidence, as I could see loads of babies of all ages being fed, and I found out some useful stuff from a huge bf book they had available.

It did the trick and am only now thinking of weaning dd (17 months), having managed only 4 weeks with ds.

EauRouge Wed 19-Oct-11 15:11:05

Yes, go, I'm sure you'll find it very helpful smile I am always trying to drag pregnant friends along to the LLL group I go to grin

It's great to have a support network ready for when your baby is born, especially when your MW is not at all supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now