Talk

Advanced search

breast's gone very soft?

(6 Posts)
dribbleface Wed 19-Oct-11 10:53:04

Hi. Breast feeding DS2 Who is 2 weeks. up to now my breast's have been quite firm prior to each feed but over the last day they have gone fairly soft. is that normal? little one still feeding every 3 hours or so and producing wet and dirty nappies. worrying my milk might be dwindling? thanks

tiktok Wed 19-Oct-11 11:23:50

dribble - hard breasts which soften after a feed are a feature of the early days of breastfeeding, really. Things settle down as time goes on. The time it takes for the body to adapt in this way varies. On the other hand, it can happen when a baby feeds more often for some reason - the build up that comes with gaps between feeds doesn't happen.

If your baby is well, is feeding often, is keen to come to the breast and does not need to be woken, and is gaining weight, then you can normally be confident all is well. Three hourly is not all that often for a baby of 2 weeks, though of course some babies are fine with that level of frequency, so to reassure yourself, it would be a good idea to have her weighed unless she has been weighed in the last day or so.

Does she feed from both breasts each time? If she doesn't, and all is well, then no problem. But if you are deliberately avoiding doing 2 sides, then it would be a good idea to change this.

Hope this helps.

PenguinArmy Wed 19-Oct-11 11:29:25

DC2 is a week old (yesterday) and my breasts already feel soft almost back to normal. It's a bugger to remember which side I'm due to feed smile It took a fair bit longer with DC1.

dribbleface Wed 19-Oct-11 13:27:13

thank all. had him weighed today and he's put on 8 1\2 ounces in 6 days so doing well. tik tok - he feed's from both breast for about 20 mins each side, usually loses interest in first so i change nappy and offer other side. guess all is well then so will carry on and keep and eye on his weight gain. thanks again.

tiktok Wed 19-Oct-11 14:25:49

smile he's doing great from the sound of things and so are you smile

dribbleface Wed 19-Oct-11 14:33:32

thanks tiktok - breast feeding didn't work out last time, mostly due to pnd i think, plus a poor latch and pain. keen for things to work out better this time around. just need a bit more confidence i think, but I'm getting there. thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now