Talk

Advanced search

3 week old snacking every hour or so

(19 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiktok Wed 19-Oct-11 10:48:47

Why would you do this - distracting to stretch out his feeds? He is three weeks old. You are his world. He needs your love and your contact and your reassurance - and he gets all of that at the breast because this is how he is meant to be at 3 weeks old. 'Distracting' him at 3 weeks would mean jiggling, patting and singing - hard work (far harder than just feeding....) and likely to upset and distress him, because none of that meets his needs when he wants a bf.

He's already learning that short stretches with his dad are an ok substitute when he is not desperate, so why push him?

Snacking = windiness? No. Human babies are hard-wired to snack. Windiness - which we in the UK are obsessed with, IMO smile - is no more than a manifestation of the newborn baby's new digestive system coping with a new way of eating. He needs to burp, he fusses a bit and he burps. Stretching out his feeds will make not one jot of difference to this, and will certainly make his fussiness worse.

You are happy to meet his normal, healthy needs. He is thriving. Why make life harder for both of you by trying to rush him through this stage of development? Look after yourself as far as you can with extra rest when you can grab it, and have confidence that you and your baby are doing just fine smile

MadameJ Wed 19-Oct-11 10:51:38

IMHO I would continue as you are, I remember thinking exactly the same as you at that stage and it sometimes felt hat DD never actually came off my breast AT ALL!!!!!
If it's working ok at the moment I would just go with it, as you know (probably better than me grin ) they change so quickly and soon your LO will naturally space out his own feeds because the world will be far too interesting to spend too long just looking at a boob!

tiktok Wed 19-Oct-11 11:01:54

<extracts herself from Reality's no-doubt-ample-and-milky-bosom>

Do you know the Kittie Frantz quote?

www.geddesproduction.com/frantz-quote-plaque.php

'Tis a bit censorious, and not something I would say directly to a mother, but that doesn't stop it being a great quote smile smile

banana87 Wed 19-Oct-11 11:09:51

Step away from the Bounty email and any other emails/books about what your 3 week old should be doing!

I agree completely with tiktok, though I 100% sympathize with you!

tiktok Wed 19-Oct-11 11:15:32

Also, Reality, you have been reading some crappy websites - I put 'your baby at 3 weeks old' into Google, and of the first five hits, none of 'em said anything about 3 hrly feeds smile

I hope Bounty doesn't say anything daft like that....

RitaMorgan Wed 19-Oct-11 11:23:59

Spacing feeds out sounds like a lot more effort than just giving a quick feed.

Once you have all your mindees in and are busy doing stuff in the day and not just sitting around and available to feed, you might find he wants to feed less often anyway. I found with ds that if we were at home he wanted to be on the boob all the time, but if we were out and about he'd last a couple of hours between feeds.

lenak Wed 19-Oct-11 19:12:51

Reality - I share your pain (not that pain is the right word - but you know what I mean). Baby lenak is 3 weeks and 5 days (I think we had the same due date) and seems to be constantly feeding. This is new territory for me though as DD1 was bottle fed and a clock baby - esp after we got her reflux sorted at 6 weeks.

I dream of 3 hour sleep stretches though - the only time we get that is 11pm or 12pm until 3am - we then go to hourly feeds. The longest sleep stretch we have had so far in the day time when we are at home is about 1.5 hours. We did have a flukey evening where we tried bath, feed, bed and she slept 7:30 - 9:00, feed, then sleep 9:30 - 11:30 but that appears to have been a one-off. It seems to be because she is very windy and gets uncomfortable to the point it wakes her.

She will sleep for a couple of hours in the sling if we are out (because she is upright mainly) - but I'm far too knackered to go on two hour walks every day!

I have taken her for her first session of Cranial Osteopathy today so I am hoping she will start to settle better as the lack of sleep is not doing her any good - poor mite looks like she has too black eyes she is so tired by late afternoon from lack of sleep.

TimeWasting Wed 19-Oct-11 19:40:53

Reality, glad to hear it's going well. smile

Lenak, have you tried something like cotblocks to raise her head up while she's sleeping? Sounds like could be silent reflux?

lenak Wed 19-Oct-11 20:01:00

I haven't but I don't think it's silent reflux because if I can get her to dispel the wind she does seem more comfy - although immediately wants to feed again - I guess because getting rid of the wind makes more room for milk smile.

When DD1 had reflux no matter how sick she was or how much wind she brought up she was still in pain.

I'll see how the osteopathy goes - it pretty much cured DD1's reflux over night, if not, I'll see if I can get some for the moses basket - I had a cot one for DD1, but it won't fit the moses basket.

Sorry for the thread high jack.

verysmellyeli Wed 19-Oct-11 20:01:09

Reality, sounds just like my DC3 at 3 weeks (she is now 14 weeks, and now goes 2-3 hours between feeds) - and you sound like you are doing all the right things. Why shouldn't he want to feed more when you are around? You are not making a rod for your own back etc. etc. (my MIL talking) as this is what 3 week olds like to do. It has taken me 3 children to work this out! DC3 crying is an unusual sound for me, whereas with the other two I was obsessed with routine, spacing out feeds, doing what other people felt I should be doing - and the DC's weren't as happy. Now I realise that this phase is so, so short that demand feeding, sleeping on my lap during the day and co-sleeping at night was the way to go.......

And the more flexible DC3's are the better I think - I can just top her up before the school run, or ahead of swimming/football/ballet and everyone's happy.

It is knackering - the lack of sleep and the feeding itself (I remember the first 4 weeks that every time I did a feed with a good letdown, I felt like I'd been drugged afterwards) so I feel for you. But - l also feel that your DS is very lucky to have a mum who is happy to give him exactly what he wants and needs. Drink lots (of water!), go to bed early when you can, I took a multivit - probably placebo, but made me feel I was looking after myself!

Enjoy. Even though DD is only 11 weeks older, it feels like a lifetime away now and I feel nostalgic and sad remembering how small she was......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now