Talk

Advanced search

How to stop breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
Kiki84 Wed 19-Oct-11 10:10:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laptopwieldingharpy Wed 19-Oct-11 10:21:46

For starters, you could try and contain feeds to morning, evening and when he wakes up from nap?
Bottles-only when out and about.
As it coincides with solid introduction, why not try and give a beaker at meal times and reduce to bf morning and evening only?
I did that from 10 to 14 months and then completely stopped.
At some point, teeth came out and she was completely over bf.....i wasn't though, honestly stil miss it sad

Nevercan Wed 19-Oct-11 10:24:31

Hi it is entirely up to you when you stop. Would BF be easier abroad rather then having to worry about taking bottles, sterliser etc? I found it best to replace one feed at a time with formula. Replace say the one at 10.30 ish first for a few days and then a later one say 5 ish so you still emptying out your boobs inbetween as it is amazing how full they feel. I slowly stopped feeding over 3-4 weeks as this worked for me. I am sure you can do it quicker if needed smile

EauRouge Wed 19-Oct-11 10:25:41

10 months is some good going smile

If you'll be travelling abroad (especially if you're flying) then you might find it easier if you are still BF, it comes in handy to calm down fractious babies grin

Some women do continue to BF even after they go back to work but if you decide it's not for you then it's best to cut down gradually. If you talk to a BF counsellor then they could help you come up with a plan that will suit you and your DS. Is there a LLL group nearby? Or you could try one of the helplines.

The important thing is to do it very gradually so as not to upset your DS (or your breasts) too much. But it's different for everyone so best to get help if you can.

witchwithallthetrimmings Wed 19-Oct-11 10:32:10

don't worry about bottles, they don't need formula after one. In a month or so i would try to limit feeds to first thing in the morning and last thing at night. The best advice i had was don't offer, don't refuse. He might drop all day time feeds straight away or it might take longer, my guess is by feburary he will be done to morning and night feeds and then there is no problem with work and you can carry on as long as you both like. I did this with my son, he stopped altogether at 13 months, my daughter still asked (but not regularly) for day feeds until she was 18 momths or so. She stopped completely a year or so later. I worked from the time she was about a year old though

laptopwieldingharpy Wed 19-Oct-11 10:38:21

I like the don't offer, don't refuse idea as its what naturally happens anyway.
Don't worry, it will all work out sooner than you think.
Good luck

Kiki84 Wed 19-Oct-11 10:52:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laptopwieldingharpy Wed 19-Oct-11 11:01:39

Mine didn't.
with hindsight, i should have probably let her cry it out a bit but was never capable of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now