Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis and antibiotics - when to start thrush treatment?

(9 Posts)
Tvetenia Tue 18-Oct-11 15:43:46

I'm recovering from a bout of mastitis and have a couple of days of the flucloxacillin to go yet, but have got thrush now with itching and peeling skin round the areola. Should I ask for thrush treatment now, or delay until I have finished the antibiotics?

Ds is 14 months now, and I had no bf problems until this. I put the mastitis down to change in latch due to new teeth and dirty little scratchy fingers fiddling around with the off duty boob. It's too late to stop the twiddling, wish I had never allowed it!

1catherine1 Tue 18-Oct-11 22:29:35

A shame your thread has gone unanswered... I guess it is because we are not suitably educated to answer it (some of us aren't at least). I'm sure someone who is will be along soon but for now I will just bump your thread for you so that someone cleverer than me will see it smile

One thing I do know though (which I guess everyone does) is that thrush after antibiotics isn't uncommon. Taking the antibiotics can lead to thrush if I understood my doctor correctly. So if you take a trip to your GP he/she should be more than informed on when you should start the course of anti fungal medicine after your antibiotics. The doctor could always give you a prescription and tell you to start it on a certain date. Mine gave me a prescription for antibiotics "just in case" - I never used it.

AnxiousElephant Tue 18-Oct-11 22:41:32

Go straight to the GP for treatment asap, if it isn't treated it will pass back and forth between babys mouth and your breast. Baby needs anti-fungal too. HTH (HV)
Can I ask why its too late to stop the twiddling? It isn't too late IMO to remove his hand and say a stern 'no'. He will understand the word no at 14 months.

Tvetenia Wed 19-Oct-11 21:45:29

Thanks for your replies. I was pretty much expecting thrush to appear. Those antibiotics are industrial strength! I'm going to the GP tomorrow so should get some anti fungal then.

I guess you're right about a no to the twiddling - he does understand no, but would be very upset by it. I've let him up to now as (and I think someone else said it on a thread a while back) it seems an important part of the feeding/comfort for him.

BoobyandtheBeads Wed 19-Oct-11 21:55:32

Might be worth you taking this with you:

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf

AnxiousElephant Thu 20-Oct-11 21:37:47

Thats a great informative leaflet booby smile

hiss42 Fri 21-Oct-11 16:04:05

Weird... I was given flucloxacillin to treat thrush after I got it after having iv antibiotics in hospital! If you're already on that they'll just give you cannisten to rub on them. And i've had thrush in my milk ducts three times and DS has never had it so you don't 100% need drops!

AnxiousElephant Fri 21-Oct-11 22:49:46

flucloxacillin is an antibiotic and is useless against thrush, which is a fungal infection hmm. I would suggest they were treating for mastitis. Cannisten isn't recommended for nipples on its own and I would suggest if it was thrush your lo would have had it if not treated.

AnxiousElephant Fri 21-Oct-11 22:50:52

That was addressed to hiss btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now