Talk

Advanced search

Does baby poo more during a growth spurt?

(3 Posts)
ohbabybaby Mon 17-Oct-11 08:03:32

DS2 is 4 1/2 months. Normally poos once or twice a day. He is a poor feeder (small appetite, easily distracted then not interested in returning etc) and has been falling slowly down the growth charts since 3 weeks, though is perfectly happy and healthy. I think he is currently having a growth spurt - feeding a bit more often but also every feed seems to be a 'good' feed. But for the last 3 days he has pooed with nearly every feed. I don't want him to poo away all the extra calories!

My mum has a D&V bug, and DS has a cold & cough, so I was concerned it might be diorrhea [sp?], but it isn't particularly smelly, colour not odd, not particularly runny (has more 'bits' in it I think). seems happy enough in himself.

I was due to take him to be weighed this morning, but don't think I really want to spread his coughing germs, but I might do if I should be concerned.

Anyone got any thoughts? DS1 was a more textbook growth-spurter (2 hourly for a week each time, eek). Thanks.

HarrietJones Mon 17-Oct-11 16:32:21

Probably just as simple as eating more means more in so more out?

If you are concerned see the HV/GP whoever is more reliable

ohbabybaby Mon 17-Oct-11 17:44:27

Thanks. We did go to the baby clinic today, and HV said that if there is an increase in volume bowel might not be used to higher volume at first. Doesn't seem to have made any difference to his weight though, only 3oz gain in 2 weeks sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now