Talk

Advanced search

Oh for fucks sake

(12 Posts)
TimeWasting Sun 16-Oct-11 22:26:35

I've been prescribed Clexane injections after birth as I'm v. large.
Bit worried I was doing it properly so had a google of the drug and apparently it shouldn't be taken by breastfeeding women!

So, what have I done to my precious darling after 4 treatments and who shall I get angry at?!

schmee Sun 16-Oct-11 22:32:58

i googled this because I have the injections too - it doesn't seem to be a problem? http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Anticoagulants_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf

TimeWasting Sun 16-Oct-11 22:37:26

Yes, I found the Hale references too and it looks less worrying. But it was an NHS page that said breastfeeding mothers shouldn't take it. confused

RitaMorgan Sun 16-Oct-11 22:38:40

I had to have them after the birth too and no one mentioned it was a problem.

organiccarrotcake Sun 16-Oct-11 22:39:11

I wouldn't just stop taking it timewasting. It's clearly a potential risk to you to stop (meaning, I'm assuming they wouldn't have given it to you if there wasn't a risk).

The Breastfeeding Network Drugs Service says it's fine (and they really know their stuff):

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Anticoagulants_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf

Feel free to give the drugs line a call if you want further info/discussion.

Did your bub get Vit K?

Most drugs aren't tested on lactating mothers and therefore are listed as not suitable for lactating mums - because there's no clinical study on its safety (it's unethical to do this). But what can be tested is how much of the drug passes to breastmilk, which is what the BfN do.

HTH smile

organiccarrotcake Sun 16-Oct-11 22:39:55

Gods that took me so long to type you other ladies came along and made me look like a duplicating lemon grin.

I'll get my coat.

HarrietJones Sun 16-Oct-11 22:42:33

I had them for 6 weeks and dd3(1) seems fine blush

TimeWasting Sun 16-Oct-11 22:45:54

Bit less worried now thank you all.

I'll need words with the midwife in the morning though.

I'm annoyed at the routine medication/procedures I'm subject to based on the VBAC and BMI+ categories I fall into that bear no relation to my personal medical history and status.

I didn't have to have this many injections last time and I'd had a c section last time! confused

tiktok Sun 16-Oct-11 23:19:54

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT is clear enough - not an issue for bf women at all.

Acrive ingredient is enoxaparin if you want to check yourself.

Midori1999 Sun 16-Oct-11 23:20:31

It does say on the Clexane literature that it shouldn't be taken when BF, but I have taken it while BF twice and it is fine. According to my haematologist, the molecules are too large to get into breastmilk.

I would imagine they are that used to prescribng it postnatally they don't give it much thought, they should have said though.

captainbarnacle Sun 16-Oct-11 23:29:35

Everyone at my maternity unit who'd had a c-section took clexane for a week this time. Seemed routine.

TimeWasting Mon 17-Oct-11 09:19:26

Cool beans. Think I was feeling extra sensitive last night due to paranoia about having to give myself an injection twice a day in the first place.

They definitely need to rewrite the notes though, very scary at face value.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now