Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone actually been challenged re BFing in public?

(61 Posts)
Georgimama Sat 15-Oct-11 22:29:27

Was visiting family today and DN asked me whether anyone had ever had a go or commented negatively on me BFing in public. Maybe I have a particularly fuck off kind of look about me, but I have BF in museums, restaurants, shops, on park benches,in waiting rooms and basically up and down the country and no one has ever said a word. Does this actually happen?

BluddyMoFo Sat 15-Oct-11 22:31:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smartyparts Sat 15-Oct-11 22:31:32

Nope! I did it everywhere/anywhere and always secretly hoped some old gimmer might at least tut in my direction, but no.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 15-Oct-11 22:31:43

There was a poster on here who used to say she had been in all kinds of situations. It hasn't happened to anyone I know.

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Sat 15-Oct-11 22:33:22

Nope.

I was on a busy train in France recently and did get glared at by an old man, but no comment.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Sat 15-Oct-11 22:33:56

No, but I've had some lovely comments, many times. The only time i felt uncomfortable was when I was sat in a cafe bfing my son, who must have been pretty tiny at the time. Nothing on show, am world's most discreet bfer. A woman was sat by herself at a table glaring straight at me muttering to herself that I was shameless. My good old dad turned around and gave her a raised eyebrow. Nothing more. And she left, muttering all the way naturally. She struck me as the kind of woman who enjoyed having a bee in her bonnet about something, and I was simply her fodder for that day. I soon got over it.

JujyFruits Sat 15-Oct-11 22:37:28

No. I got a couple of nasty looks (both from women), which I noticed because they were accompanied with a loud sigh. And I overheard a women talking about me breastfeeding to her friend and it wasn't in a nice way, I also think she wanted me to overhear. I ignored it.

But no one has ever said anything directly to me.

effingwotnots Sat 15-Oct-11 22:37:59

Nope never. Though I think I am very discreet and you cant tell what I'm doing. Though I admit now ds is 16m I won't feed him in public (he won't starve) blush

I think with dd1 if I had been challenged I would have cried and never left the house again

Dd2 I would have been blush but "meh"

Ds "meh" bear

StetsonsAreCool Sat 15-Oct-11 22:40:15

Nope. Am quite disappointed really. Although I haven't done it recently so who knows (16mo DD is only doing am/bed feeds now). Maybe I should try, but even then I still think nobody would comment.

bushymcbush Sat 15-Oct-11 22:42:36

Never. And never noticed any funny looks either.

When I bf in my SIL's front room, her husband and sons could not look at me and deliberately turned their backs or left the room. But they were quick to reassure me that they weren't offended, only embarrased.

MurderBloodstabsandgore Sat 15-Oct-11 22:44:57

Nope.

I do retreat to quiet corners now as DD is 10mo and a nosey so and so. Before she would focus on the task at hand, so I don't think anyone noticed?

SazZaVoom Sat 15-Oct-11 22:48:13

No. Dh was most upset as he was raring to get up and defend my honour in front of anyone who dared say anything grin

Bohica Sat 15-Oct-11 22:50:32

Never.

I breast fed 3 DD's through various stages and in many different places and I have never had a negative comment.

Although the first time I managed to latch DD1 on 3 of my DH's work collegues bowled onto the ward with flowers and all [blushed] and left grin I managed to feed DD's at BBQ's and days out with comments that our babies hadn't fed and I could honestly say they had all fed during the day and no one had noticed.

RebelFromTheWaistDown Sat 15-Oct-11 22:54:37

Yes. While breastfeeding DD2 at age 3 months in a cafe I was told by the cafe owner that breastfeeding was not allowed 'for the sake of upsetting customers and for hygiene reasons.' I left the cafe and never went back.

1catherine1 Sat 15-Oct-11 22:55:48

I've bf all sorts of places - in shops, in cafes, parks, pubs, trains, street corner benches and have only ever had nice comments. I was in Barcelona in July BF my DD on a street bench and had an old woman come up to us and tell us how fantastic she thought it was that I was BF my DD and when I went to a private corner in a pub to BF, another older woman started chatting to me as she didn't feel like I should need to find a quiet corner. I only did because I wanted DD to fall asleep. smile I did once get glared at by an old man in a shopping centre but I stared back at him and he made a quick exit when he saw my OH approach me.

I was quite self conscious of bf in public at first but when I worked out how to do it discretely I realised that most of the time people just think baby is having a cuddle and a snooze. A group of men in their early 20s walked past me in a hotel once and as they approached me one said to the rest "Shhh, don't wake the baby".

I was wondering though - the law only protects BF mums until the baby is 6 mo right? But DD still needs milk during the day. So, anyone had any problems BF in public when baby is over 6 mo? (DD is nearly 7 mo) Especially now my DD has decided she doesn't like the cradle hold anymore and prefers the more obvious feeding upright cuddle. confused

choceyes Sat 15-Oct-11 22:56:45

Never.

I've had lots of smiles from people, all women, in a "ahh that is nice" way.
DD is 14 months now, and I still BF her during the day in public.

I initally felt emabressed to BF in front of my FIL. But when MIL said that she BF my BIL all the time they were on a plane to America to keep him quiet, and he was nearly 2yrs, I assumed my FIL would be pretty nonpulsed by it really and didnt' feel any embaressment since!

seeker Sat 15-Oct-11 22:59:23

I was always despite to be challenged, but I never had anything but smiles and nice remarks and cups of tea. Bit disappointing, really!

Hungrydragon Sat 15-Oct-11 22:59:42

Normally had nice comments. Been "challenged" to move once but it was with very kind intentions.

I also got a Mnet bingo as a lady advanced in years advised me that ds was much too old to be breast fed still, but I was young and a first time mum and she gave up when I looked at her with genuine bewilderment as he was only 4 months grin

Hungrydragon Sat 15-Oct-11 23:01:06

Have to also say mostly people never ever even noticed I was feeding.

mousyfledermaus Sat 15-Oct-11 23:06:10

never
only sometimes getting asked if I want to go somewhere more private but never pressured.
and I fed dd until 18m

QueenOfFlamingEverything Sat 15-Oct-11 23:09:16

Nope.

But then, I suspect I also have a distinct fuck-off-look about me. Plus, I'm used to getting Looks (I have hair that some people seem to find stare-worthy hmm) so it'd take a lot for me to even notice tbh.

MrsRigby Sat 15-Oct-11 23:11:33

Yes, by 1 of my sister-in-laws who told me to go into another room in the house (hers).

Ungratefulchild Sat 15-Oct-11 23:13:23

I used to feed Ds1 on the train home from work (was in a nursery near work). Nobody batted eyelid except once a group of teenagers got on and giggled, sneered etc and made me very uncomfortable. Another time on another train a group of older people who were drinking made horrible remarks in my hearing.

FetchezLaVache Sat 15-Oct-11 23:16:54

Never! The only slightly negative reaction I've ever had was a 5 year old girl at my cousin's son's birthday party who came up and said in horrified tones: "What are you doing? Why's he drinking out of your boobie??" Have breastfed lots and lots out and about, have only ever had lots of supportive comments and smiles, even thumbs-ups.

TipOfTheSlung Sat 15-Oct-11 23:21:04

No
closest I've had was a 'God is he still on the boob?' in a slightly disparaging tone from a friend, reply was a simple 'yes'
have had some good responses and some memorably nice things.
Mners If that was your son on the packed commuter train from London to Luton then be proud

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now