Talk

Advanced search

DS(12m) seems to have self-weaned, what do I give him now?

(11 Posts)
ImpYCelyn Sat 15-Oct-11 13:02:02

DS was having a before-bed feed and a night feed. He's been taking less and less at the before-bed feed and this past week hasn't wanted it at all. Also this last couple of weeks he's dropped the night feed. I've been trying to give him a morning feed, but he doesn't seem interested in that either.

What do I need to give him now? He's only had BM.

He did have CMPI. Following advice we've been introducing dairy and are now at the point where I'll sometimes put a bit of cheese in an omelette/whatever and he's managing fromage frais. He seems fine with this so far, but I wasn't planning to hand him a cup of milk anytime soon, but I'm happy to try it if he needs the milk.

At the moment during the day he has porridge made with enriched soy milk, a fromage frais and occasionally something else with a bit of dairy, which I thought was fine with the two feeds, but if he's dropped them I think he probably needs something else.

Also, he's suddenly become very picky about eating and is refusing vegetables and most meat. So DH is wondering if we should give him formula instead of cow's milk as it's enriched with vits etc.

He drinks water out of a sippy, so I thought I could put it in that with breakfast and maybe mid-afternoon.

Any advice would be very gratefully received, I'm worrying about it!

Thanks! smile

RitaMorgan Sat 15-Oct-11 13:08:35

If he can't cope with cow's milk then you'd probably need to give him a dairy-free formula.

ScaredBear Sat 15-Oct-11 13:08:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImpYCelyn Sat 15-Oct-11 13:12:05

We're just meant to be giving him little bits for now, they need to see how he reacts before we gave him dairy as a staple.

I'm going to try him on some cow's milk today to see how it goes. I can't get dairy free formula down him, he refuses to drink it and makes himself sick if we try.

RitaMorgan Sat 15-Oct-11 13:15:16

Have you tried soya formula?

They need about 12oz/350ml a day at this point so you can probably get that into him with lots of porridge, milky sauces, rice pudding etc if he won't drink it straight.

ImpYCelyn Sat 15-Oct-11 13:21:38

Yes, tried the soya one. He just seems to hate them all.

350ml isn't as much as I was expecting, so maybe I'll try him with a small cup of milk and then start more creative cooking attempts with dairy.

Rice pudding is a good idea...

Thanks very much for replying!

AngelDog Sat 15-Oct-11 23:00:11

I would ask your GP for a referral to a dietician.

When I temporarily exluded dairy from my DS's diet at 13 months to see if it affected his eczema, she told me not to exclude it for any length of time without going back and getting a dietician referral.

ImpYCelyn Sun 16-Oct-11 09:16:52

We see a dietician, it's her advice I'm currently following. But I wasn't expecting him to self wean all of a sudden. Our next appointment with her isn't for a month, I won't be able to get anything sooner. I'm just worried what to do until then.

I tried giving him full milk to drink yesterday, he didn't seem impressed, but it hasn't made him ill (yet).

I'm going to make a big rice pudding today and freeze some portions. And I made cheese sauce for his pasta last night. I'm just going to add stuff where I can and see how he goes.

sc2987 Sun 16-Oct-11 21:05:03

Its very unlikely hes self weaned at that age. Could be a nursimg strike or temporary loss of interest due to a developmental stage. See the Kellymom website for more info.

ImpYCelyn Mon 17-Oct-11 14:02:11

Oh god, reading kellymom has made me feel really bad. I think it's possible that I've inadvertently weaned him myself and now he's just not interested anymore sad

Oh rubbish, what on earth should I do?

He loves solids and eats loads. I tried to follow the advice about milk first, and milk as a majority food but he was getting less and less interested and wanting more and more solids, so I went along with him, and now I think I've done it all wrong sad

Is there a way to fix it?

BartletForAmerica Mon 17-Oct-11 14:10:50

You have been trying to do your best, as we all do. Things, though, have been a bit difficult with the (spelt out for ScaredBear's benefit as she appears to have missed this!) Cow's Milk Protein Intolerance (so just giving him cow's milk might not actually be the answer to everything).

I think I would keep offering him breastmilk at the moment. Perhaps get in the bath with him at bath time.

He may not be interested anymore and that doesn't mean that YOU have done anything bad. Some babies just do self-wean early and maybe he is just one of them. You have followed him and his cues.

Can you contact the dietician by phone? Can she give you some provisional advice until you see her again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now