Talk

Advanced search

Anyone any experience of "prolonged"; engorgement?

(3 Posts)
Pandam Fri 14-Oct-11 22:07:43

Hi

My sister is currently suffering with terribly engorged breasts. Her baby is 13 days old, is breastfeeding, putting on weight and seems very contented. However, my sister has had engorged breasts for about 10 days now. The pain and discomfort is so bad she can't wear clothes, can't move about the house and other than feeding can't even really hold the baby. Everything is extremely painful. She has seen her midwife and NCT breastfeeding counsellor. The former has said that my sister's situation is very unusual and she hasn't seen it before and the NCT BFC has said that her situation could potential go on for upto 8 weeks. We have all done lots of internet searches on it and she has tried pretty much everything. Does anyone have any experience of this and any ideas of what might help? She is so incapacitated that there is no way she could cope for up to 8 weeks. Many thanks.

flickor Fri 14-Oct-11 22:42:56

do not know if this will help has she tried expressing using a hand pump. Ice can help possibly/cabbages left in the fridge then put in the bra. Towel perhaps put in hot water - left to cool down and then put in the breast. Sometimes it can take two weeks for boobs to settle down.

Pandam Fri 14-Oct-11 23:31:48

Thanks flickor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now